Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,550   Posts: 1,646,323   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Developing expired b&w

Hello world,
    It may answered already, however I have not find that thread .
    So what developer would be suggested with what timing for fp4+ expired in '99, delta 100 in '96, delta 3600 in not known time, tmax in '96.
    Also, I am puzzled the iso to shoot at.
    Thank you!

Shooter
    35mm
    The general rule is knock a stop every decade (at least) and use something that controls the base fog (HC110)
    Delta 3200 does not age well- might expose it at ISO 400 or less (it's ISO 1000 native)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have wondered for quite some time about this. Wouldn't stand development with a shake every now and then be about ideal to get everything out of a questionable film?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With FP4 I'd just make sure you had plenty of exposure and develop normally. By plenty I mean don't underexpose, if you meter well for 125 and you will probably be fine even without testing.

D3200 - test at roll with various EI's and see. Probably be fine in the 1000 to 400 range.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When in doubt test. Shoot a few frames and snip in a changing bag. It can be a hassle to get the rest of the film on the takeup, often you have to trim it to fit.

Or if you have a lot of this stock (and in 35mm), shoot a test roll, bracket 4 frames or so at your best-guess speeds, advance and shoot one frame with the lens cap on. Open the back (changing bag or dark room) and put a tiny tab of painter's tape in the middle of the current frame - it will be where the lens is centered. Fold the tape under so you have a "tab" to lift it later. Advance, shoot 4 more, repeat. When you're done, don't rewind the film - open the back (dark room or bag, and take some black film vials or light tight containers with you), cut the film at the roll, and pull it from the takeup. Cut the film at each tape tab (you'll be able to feel them) and discard the tape. Process one strip and store the others in something light tight. You can use a roll's worth of one-shot dev for this since you're only running a few frames at a time. Inspect the first strip and adjust your processing, rinse, repeat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OP
    i don't use new film, and just used expired stuff ...
    it is not usually frozen or cold stored but shelf stored at between 50-70ºF ( depending on the season )
    i have never really had trouble processing expired film stand develop with coffee and ansco 130 for 30 mins
    i prewet and knocked the air bubbles off, then i put the developer in, agitated a little, knocked the bubbles off
    and at the end of 30ish mins the film looked very good. i have done this with tmx, tmy, tmz, fp4/5, deltas, tri x, plus x
    some as old as the 1980s. the tmz was 10+ years old drawer stored, and over exposed a few stops. none of the film required a fancy developer, like hc110
    if you have dektol you might do a test roll in that 1:7 for about 7-8 mins, and over expose your film about 1 stop / 10 years
    i use dektol now, both with caffenol c and by itself, no problems with excessive fog &c

don't forget to have fun ..
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for all of your answers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I have wondered for quite some time about this. Wouldn't stand development with a shake every now and then be about ideal to get everything out of a questionable film?
    Unless truly abused, film isn't ever questionable.

It follows a very predictable and gentle change slope into it's maturity.

Normal development is the default standard because it's so reliable.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Is there any suggestion for Ilford developer?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just been doing some testing with some FP4 220 I was given, (pre FP4 Plus) expired in 1982. I rated it at 50 and did a clip test in ID11 at I think 11 minutes which was an initial push of over a stop. Ended up giving it 15 minutes. (My notes are not to hand.) Heavy base fog and darker top and bottom. Considering it's an old slow film and not sure how it's been stored; over exposed and over processed, and used on a subject with high contrast values, not too bad! The last image is from a direct scan of two frames together and corrected in Photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 220-1.jpg   220-2.jpg   220-3.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin