Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,188   Posts: 1,658,862   Online: 816

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How long does film need to hang to dry?

I developed my first 2 rolls and they've been hanging in the shower for about 2 hours. About how long before I can take them down?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax ME Super
    Kiev 4,
    Praktica LB,
    Minolta SRT 102, SRT 202
    Canon A1, TX
    many Nikons-F2 eye level F2AS N90s, F4E, N2000, N6000, N6006, Nikomat FTN, N5005

Shooter
    35mm
    Tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually wait for a day but sometimes I do develop in the morning and then scan in the evening. As an example, today I developed 3 rolls of TriX 120 roll film about 9 this morning. I just finished scanning them this evening.

EDIT - It is probably worth mentioning that the humidity today was 31% and indoor temp around 68F. If your humidity is higher then you may find it necessary to wait longer.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wait till I cant see any sign of moisture. Usually what 19 said ^^
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The humidity here is usually 60-95% depending on what time of day it is. The hygrometer in the house usually says 55-60%.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax ME Super
    Kiev 4,
    Praktica LB,
    Minolta SRT 102, SRT 202
    Canon A1, TX
    many Nikons-F2 eye level F2AS N90s, F4E, N2000, N6000, N6006, Nikomat FTN, N5005

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Less time than it takes for glossy enamel paint to cure but more time than it takes water to boil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear f/16,

What the others say is spot on. However, in times of speedy processing I have found 1 hour in the shower, plus a squeegee (controversial) to be good for newspaper work. Although, most cities that still would use a darkroom would have a film drier. Anyway, for my work it is over night. I only mentioned that incase you needed the film fast, and I would not recommend for several reasons unless you really needed them fast. Have a good day, and congratulations on your first developed films. You will probably find you like the results much better.

If you don't already know about the "massive dev chart", you should try it as it is very useful. I would have linked the website, but I don't remember the policy on linking websites. Just google "massive dev chart", and it is the first website. Also I would recommend a high quality binder, and negative sleeves to protect them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Over night (since I usually develop in the late afternoon or evening). If you develop in the early morning, it should be dry until evening like Pioneer said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here in San Francisco, were the humidity in my apartment is generally around 50% it takes 3-4 hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually have mine dry within an hour or so. I've hung them in direct sunlight a few times, which dries them even faster.
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin