Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,544   Posts: 1,646,150   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Question about Rodinal Special (Studional) for TRI-X

Hello guys,

i've started to develop b&w film since 4 years, in particular in the medium format, and I enjoy to print in darkroom when I find some spare time.

In order to standardize my process, I've used only 2 film-developer combination:

Ilford FP4 @ 80 in Rodinal 1+50 (13 min)
    Kodak TRI-X @ 250 in HC110 1+63 (10 min)

and I'm satisfied.... but I'm a fan of Rodinal, so I've just bought a bottle of R09 Special (Studional) and I'd like to try with the TRI-X film

On the R09 Special datasheet I've found: TRI-X 400 1+15 3,5 min

Since this developing time is too short to manage, I would start with a higher diluition (1+30); what developing time do you suggest?
    6 min - 7 min?

Does anyone experienced Tri-x in Rodinal Special?

Thank you for your suggestion and your tecnhical support.

Thomas from Italy (Bologna)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    H

Rodinal Special was an Agfa developer but it is not a paraaminophenol developer llke Rodinal, it is a PQ like Microphen.
    Never used it myself, but
    http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru.../t-114527.html

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 ^^
    Rodinal and Rodinal Special have no much in common.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know that Rodinal and Rodinal Special are very different developer, in fact I will to continue to use Rodinal on Ilford FP4 because I reached satisfing result with them; I'd like to try Rodinal Special only with TRI-X because it seems to be suited for medium speed film and should show less grain than the Rodinal.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Yes it is likely to show less grain but a similar foot speed.
    But you need to be more careful with shelf life like a year rather than decades, or rather whatever it says on bottle..
    And I don't know how all the PQs react to dilution beyond 1:3, apart from some working well at 1:30.
    There is an old Agfa data sheet somewhere on the web...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Studional is essentially a standard PQ developer. However it uses triethanolamine as the alkali instead of an alkali such as sodium metaborate. The presence of TEA should result in finer grain since it is also a silver halide solvent.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Studional with Tri-X at 1:30 for 8 minutes with agitation every minute. Works well but I have not yet done my film speed and development tests for this combination so it may change.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @ xmas: thanks for the complete datasheet

@thefizz: i feel that 1+30 for 8 min is on the long side; your negatives should show high contrast which is useful for scanning but difficult to manage in the wet-darkroom. Consider that, according to Agfa, the devoloping time of 3,5 min at 1+15 should deliver a 0.65 gamma index (high level of contrast if you print in darkroom).
    Last edited by Rodinalforever; 04-29-2015 at 02:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not very high at all, print easily.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin