Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,272   Posts: 1,660,808   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hoya R72 filter and B&W film?

I know there are many who used the R72 with SFX 200, but what if you use the filter with standard B&W film, such as FP4? Will you get any IR effect? I have a R72. Has anyone tried it?
    Bill

Pentax's 645, ME Super, Spotmatic II
    Kiev 4,
    Praktica LB,
    Minoltas SRT 102, SRT 202
    Canons A1, TX
    many Nikons-F2 eye level F2AS N90s, F4E, N2000, N6000, N6006, Nikomat FTN, N5005

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    I know there are many who used the R72 with SFX 200, but what if you use the filter with standard B&W film, such as FP4? Will you get any IR effect? I have a R72. Has anyone tried it?
    You will get no appreciable "Wood" effect with standard B&W films. In fact, you won't get with much of anything.

The R72 filter blocks light below 720nm, and the film is not sensitive to light above 720nm.

So you end up with little or no image at all.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The R72 filter blocks light below 720nm, and the film is not sensitive to light above 720nm.

So you end up with little or no image at all.
    This.

Any film, which is not marked as IR sensitive in big, bold letters, probably won't give any image at all if exposed through an R72 filter. It takes appreciable effort to make photographic film sensitive to these longer wavelengths, and only few very special products have emulsions sensitized that way.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need to look at the spectral response curve for the particular film you are interested in. Manufacturers publish this information and it can usually be found online. If the film has no or very little response you are not going to get an image. These curves are usually presented on a semi-logarithmic graph. So response falls off more dramatically than if the graph were linear. It's not difficult.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    You can get IR effects with Rollei Retro 80s and 400s films. These films are also available under different brand names. I think they were originally designed for aerial photography. I'm sure the original name was Agfa Aviphot, or similar. I have used the 400s successfully with the R72. I rated it at about 6asa for IR work. If you search here, and elsewhere on the net, you should find some information about films that will work. FP4, HP5, and Tri-X won't give you anything. I don't know about the Fuji B&W films. If you want to try a particular film with this filter, you wouldn't need to expose the whole roll through the R72. Just try a couple of shots, make notes of what you did, and see what comes out.
    Alex.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin