Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,380   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Thoughts from a first time Rodinal user....

I never would have given Rodinal a second thought except for the good press it gets on this site. So I found myself in Freestyle the other day and bought a bottle to give it a try. Since I shoot a fair amount of Panatomic X which can be hard to tame, the idea of one shot highly diluted Rodinal sounded plausible. The Pan X is Aerial film and I cut 5" rolls for the 5X7 and occasionally the 4X5. I began at 1:100 / 9 minutes @ 75 degrees and the first neg up in the tray was lovely. I tried some other dilutions and less time but the first guess is the winner. Gorgeous neg that prints perfectly on J&C Museum weight Normal which requires a good long negative. I'll post a scan of the print in a while when it's dry.

But things went downhill when I rolled some FP4+ in a Jobo tank. I used 1 + 25 dilution for the FP4, and gave it 9 minutes also. Same temp. Density and curve seem quite acceptable but yipes!! Do you guys who like this stuff really tolerate that kind of grain?? And that's with a medium speed film. I can't imagine this stuff with Tmax 400. Unless I wanted the rock star with grain on purpose look.

In any case, I'm pleased that I found a specialty niche developer for my Pan X and you can feel free to flame me for the other opines. Pcat HD is far FAR superior in my ever so humble opinion. Oh, I'll give it a go on APHS also. Usually anything that will work well on the Pan X can be cut in half and work OK for continuous tones with the Lith film.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, we do like films like FP-4 in the super elixir! I've done weddings with Tri-X and Rodinal. Great tones and yes, grainy, but with med. format it was quite acceptable even with 16x20 prints.

You might try the 1+50 dilution. It might cut the grain a bit for you.

Now I will admait that Rodinal really is at its best with slow films like your Pan-X, but it's quite nice with most films.

I'm glad you found the "Great Liquid"; you're one step closer to the "Church"!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To me, 9@75 seems wrong. A bit too long and a bit too hot.

Try the 1+50 mix and let us know what you think.

Pan F+ and Rodinal are a beautiful combo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second the motion on the PanF and Rodinal....

Agfa 100 works looks pretty well in it too...

1:50 in both cases.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks to all. 1:50 eh? If I liked 9 min at 1:100 I suppose 5 minutes at 1:50 would be a good place to begin? Thanks Jay for the tea formula. I may give that a try sometime. I have a 9 1/2" wide roll of the Kodak stuff and indeed it behaves almost identically to the APHS. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, have done a few rolls/sheets of FP4+ in Rodinal 1+100, but used stand development ... just loaded films, did a 1 min constant agitation and then let the suckers sit - for at least 40 min. .. no other agitation (I suspect the developer is exhausted after 40 min) and must say the negatives do not show any grain at all..this is up to 78F..if temp is lower have let it stand for at least 60 min. Just 2cents worth, as always YMMV...
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Sandman Motel, Old Hwy 40, Reno, Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    I'll post a scan of the print in a while when it's dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC higher dilutions of Rodinal produced finer grain and softer tonality, i.e. 1+50 would produce coarser grain than 1+100.

Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Yes, we do like films like FP-4 in the super elixir! I've done weddings with Tri-X and Rodinal. Great tones and yes, grainy, but with med. format it was quite acceptable even with 16x20 prints.

You might try the 1+50 dilution. It might cut the grain a bit for you.

Now I will admait that Rodinal really is at its best with slow films like your Pan-X, but it's quite nice with most films.

I'm glad you found the "Great Liquid"; you're one step closer to the "Church"!
    9 minutes in 1+25 seems excesive, specailly since you are using a Jobo. It probably works fine in a hand agitated tank. Cut either the dilution or the time. The more you process the more visible the grain will be. Also going easier on the agitation helps lowering contrast and grain is less apparent.

I have used it for FP4 and HP5 and finde the grain not objectionable.
    I have settled lately in 1+100 dilutions, for about 30 minutes (agitating every 5) for Ei100/125 35mm and 120 films

Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    But things went downhill when I rolled some FP4+ in a Jobo tank. I used 1 + 25 dilution for the FP4, and gave it 9 minutes also. Same temp. Density and curve seem quite acceptable but yipes!! Do you guys who like this stuff really tolerate that kind of grain?? And that's with a medium speed film. I can't imagine this stuff with Tmax 400. Unless I wanted the rock star with grain on purpose look.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having done all of my other pan f in whatever the school used ( don't even remember now) I too just used rodinal for the first time, too am very pleased with the way they turned out. I used 1:50 for 8 mins. at 70. I am curious though has anyone tried the R09 that J and C sells?

G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't imagine this stuff with Tmax 400. Unless I wanted the rock star with grain on purpose look.

Actually, Tmax 400 in Rodinal can look very smooth; you must have a contrasty subject to start with, or develop a little longer to get a harder neg . Using a harder grade of paper will bring out grain, in the sky, in particular, especially if burned in.
    I use 120 Tmax400 @ ISO 320, in Rodinal 1:100 @ 70 F for 20 min. Pretty darn nice for such a fast film.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin