Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,499   Posts: 1,645,080   Online: 917

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Any tips on developing w/ 2 month old Microdol-X?

I have 2 rolls of Arista EDU Ultra 100 left to develop and my Mic-X is 2 months old. Last time it was this old it seemed to get more active like D76 and I got more grain than usual. Should I give the negs less time when developing? The only other thing I have left is some Rodinal (Fomadon RO9) that developed a small crack in its plastic bottle from being squeezed too tightly. Air got in it and there's a lot of chunks (crystals? in there now. Thanks!
    Last edited by momus; 05-07-2015 at 06:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The activity of Microdol should not increase like D-76 since this increase is due to the presence of hydroquinone. Microdol-X contains only metol as the developing agent. Two months is well within the useful life of Microdol-X which Kodak gives as 6 months. So just develop your film normally.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree. I've used year old Microdol that was in tightly stoppered bottles with little or no air space. Negatives looked fine. I have a stash of Microdol from my Dad, and tend to use it only with Minox films. Takes a while to use up a quart that way.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks. I wonder why I had grainier negs the last time from the same camera w/ the same film using two month old Mic-X? Maybe it got too hot in the house here in Florida. That was what was happening w/ my D76. Apparently my house temps were too high for it, and after just 3 weeks I started seeing quite a bit more grain, which is what led me to switch to TD-16. Got at least 4 months out of that in the same bottles. Will develop them tonight if I get a chance and see what happens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin