Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,250   Posts: 1,660,317   Online: 1039

Shooter
    35mm

Liking 4x5 Shanghai a lot

Bought a box a month a go. Loaded up a couple of 4x5 holders and went to a local cutbank where some texture stuff was readily available. Not a great picture (it's actually lousy) but that's not the point. This is a lovely film in 4x5 and I will not hesitate to use it. The emulsion is tough, too, because I was a bit rough with the negs - out of practice.

Negatives were sharp and clear - this is just a fast lightbox photograph of the negative itself. Taken with a Linhof Color Kardan, 180mm f5.6 Nikkor-W, Shanghai. I used HC110 at 1:63 for 10 minutes.

Thanks for looking in.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Oh no! Not another Shanghai fanboy thread...............

You should buy only film from "A" manufacture or "B" manufacture or they will go out of business. Besides, Shanghai film is inferior anyway. That's what I always seem to hear from some folks when I talk Shanghai GP3 film or when I shot the old Chinese 4X5 ERA film. I say, why not buy from "A", "B" and Shanghai and try to keep them all going. I haven't used any of the Shanghai 4X5, but do like the GP3 120 film. Myself, I buy Ilford, Shanghai and Ultrafine Xtreme film from the Warehouse. I'm more than happy with those films. I'd buy some of the Rollei/Agfa stuff, but it's just a little more than I want to "pay to play". I think I'll buy a couple of boxes of Shanghai 4X5 to soup in some WD2H+ as it looks like it should be a very good match. Let us know how it works out for you. John W

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    What have you been rating it at?

I could see using this as I shoot some more 4x5 this summer.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JW PHOTO View Post
    You should buy only film from "A" manufacture or "B" manufacture or they will go out of business.
    Oh, I do, John, like you. I buy lots from Kodak (HC110, Xtol, Fixer, Tri-X, T-Max 100 and 400), Ilford (HP5, Delta 3200, FP4, Rapid fix) and Agfa (Rodinal), Foma (400 and 200 especially.) Probably $2000+ a year. So I don't feel the least bit guilty about slumming and buying 2 boxes of Shanghai 4x5 per annum, and a few rolls of their 120. Less than $100 per year.

I don't find it inferior at all, either. I like it, it seems especially in 4x5 Seems to be the closest replacement to Plus-X I can find. In 120 it's fine, but I prefer FP4. Don't care for FP4 in 4x5 - it's never responded tonally the way I want in this format.

I have a "go-to" standard in all formats, that's HP5 in HC110 at 1:63. Used that combo for over 40 years and it gets about 50% of my B&W attention. But I do use other films and developers when I want their characteristics, and that will include Shanghai because of it's similarity to Plus X.

Looks like you made a similar decision.
    Last edited by moltogordo; 05-11-2015 at 04:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
    What have you been rating it at?

I could see using this as I shoot some more 4x5 this summer.
    I rated it at 100, and developed it for 10 minutes in HC110 at 1:63. Negatives are excellent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Buy whatever you want, it's your money. As we said in the old South (which is long gone), unless someone is putting a roof over your head, food on your table, or keeping you warm at night, what you do is nobody's business but your own. I have shot a lot of the Shanghai film in 120 and it is surely not an inferior film. It's a great film at a great price. But, there are QC issues sometimes, on some batches. I personally have never run into them, and every roll looked real good. Works a treat in Rodinal, D76 and Mic-X.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin