Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,486   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What is causing these lines?

I just developed a bunch of Delta 100 4x5 in Xtol 1:1. I've done this before and had no problems. The chemicals were mixed fresh and I use a tank with hangers. Same thing I've done for 100's of other sheets. I processed eight sheets and probably 6 of them had fine black straight lines on the negs. These are not scratches. Used several different lenses and 4 different film holders.

An example is posted in the Technical Gallery with both full frame and a small section. The scan is done to show the lines not to be a final rendition.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Eric

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6572
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

I don't know what caused the lines but if you want to keep the prints send them to me and I'll retouch them.

Michael

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is this the first 6 sheets of a new box of film? Could it be a manufacturing defect that may exist in the whole box. Try exposing a sheet from the middle of the stack that's left in the box to see if the lines are in the film all the way through. You will get black lines like that where either very localized areas of silver hailides are more sensitive than the surrounding film, you had a weird very focused light leak in the camera (unlikely), you had a strange local surface effect that caused the developer to gravitate to these horizontal thin bands on the film so as to unevenly develop the film? I'm guessing here. I cannot begin to imagine what would cause this on your end. Errors that remove emulsion from the backing sheet are understandable, but additive errors?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although you might want to look at the film under high magnification, Eric, it looks like a film defect to me. I can't think of anything that would cause that with hanger-based development.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    if the weather is really dry, you might be picking up static marks if you unload the film fast.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm with Schwinn - I think this is a manufacturing problem. There's no way to get marks like this from tank/hanger processing, and if you used multiple holders....

As suggested above, try a sheet from the middle of the box.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try developing a single unexposed sheet directly from the same box. If you find the lines you know it is a film defect. No lines would indicate a camera problem since you used four different holders. The images BTW are fantastic!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am with carbromac with static electricity but I am thinking is more due to removing the dark slide too fast in cold dry weather.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    I processed eight sheets and probably 6 of them had fine black straight lines on the negs. These are not scratches. Used several different lenses and 4 different film holders.
    Such lines are most probably produced in manufacture process, by applying some pressure on a fresh emulsion layer - maybe Ilford people forgot to clean one of their numerous transport rollers, etc. The pressure causes a local oversensibilisation effect - the lines should be darker in dark places of your negative, and fainter in whites. A dark slide touching film can cause an effect alike, but that's not the case - you have changed four holders. It seems to be one of the rare warranty cases with Ilford film, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    These sheets are from the first envelope of a 100 sheet box. They are the last 9 sheets of the envelope, the first ones seemed to be ok but I will go back and look at them again as they were all night shots.

The static thing might be a cause, but it's got me buffaloed. I am going to shoot some sheets today against a light wall and see if they come up again.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin