Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,647   Posts: 1,668,557   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Is there a trick to getting the lid off Arista 35mm film continers?

This may qualify for one of the stupidest questions here, but I often find it nearly impossible to get the lids off the plastic canisters that 35mm Arista EDU film comes in. They don't have the usual press on tops like Tri-X, they have press IN caps, and there's nothing to get your finger under to pop it off. Sounds ridiculous, but for some reason I have a heck of a time getting to the film inside, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on this.

I tried twisting the cap on top, but there isn't much to get a grip on, and it doesn't work anyway. Tried squeezing the canister at the top in the hope the top would pop off, but it just makes the top hang on that much more. I got this one off by using a knife, but that is high risk, and at some point more than the top is going to come off. Like my finger.
    Last edited by momus; 05-23-2015 at 12:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Insert pithy philosophic statement of your choice here".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is really funny...I had the same experience a month or so ago. I'm planning on switching back to Arista EDU in 35mm (I use it in 120 and 4x5) so I bought a couple of rolls to play with before I order a 100' spool. I couldn't believe how hard it was to open the canister. I eventually had to resort to a butter knife under the lip to pry it off. I'm glad it wasn't just me!
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a pair of hefty needlenose pliers on the bottom of the canister, grip and twist away from the bottom. No hope of re-using it though.

Shooter
    35mm
    momus

For the benefit of those not in the US, could you post a pic of said canisters?
    I suspect they are the same as Foma, but I would like some confirmation.
    Thanks!
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure. Looks like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0870.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	827.5 KB 
ID:	109571

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0871.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	109572

I've had excellent results w/ the EDU Ultra 100 in Mic-X full strength by the way rjbuzzclick. Rodinal is nice too, but the Mic-X full strength is the bomb.
    "Insert pithy philosophic statement of your choice here".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A bottle opener perhaps.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The ones this side of pond remove easy with nails from first three fingers, maybe yours (cassettes) are different.

Shooter
    35mm
    They are Foma.
    Here it goes: grab canister in your fist, place index finger on one side of lid and the thumb on the opposite side. Press with thumb on the side of serrated lid and up it goes!
    To me they are easier to open than the ones from Koda: I don't need 2 hands to open the Foma canisters, one is enough.
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    I have noted a variation in the effort from one to another, normally my thumb nail can get a grip on one of the serration and push straight up.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I've had excellent results w/ the EDU Ultra 100 in Mic-X full strength by the way rjbuzzclick. Rodinal is nice too, but the Mic-X full strength is the bomb.
    Thanks for the recommendation. It's been a couple of years since I've shot AristaEDU in 35mm. I like it in Rodinal for larger formats. I shot a test roll of 35mm (400@800) in Rodinal and was happy with the results.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin