Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,295   Posts: 1,681,432   Online: 941

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Will Microdol give me the same results as Microdol-X?

I used up the last of my Mic-X, and have this unopened can of Microdol replenisher. Since PE said that it would not work for the Mic-X variety, this might be a good opportunity to try the original version. But will it give me roughly similar results to the X version?

I understand that the original version had some issues w/ fogging film, which is why they put the silver sequestering agents into the X version (and who knows what else). Hopefully this will not be an issue w/ the Arista EDU Ultra 100 film that I have.
    Last edited by momus; 06-03-2015 at 07:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is unclear what you intend to do. Do you want to use the replenisher as developer? The chemical balance in a developer and its replenisher is different. A replenisher is usually designed to be more active to offset the decrease in activity of the developer with use.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I plan on using the replenisher w/ some yet-to-be bought Microdol. The replenisher is for the non X variety. I was just wondering if the non X version of the developer will give me similar results as the X version. I have no experience using Microdol, only the Microdol-X developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The results should be very similar. Microdol caused dichroic fog with some films but not all. But that was long ago and emulsions have changed. Give it a try. Are you able to mix your own as I have a formula for microdol from Grant Haist's book. Developer uses 4 ingredients and the replenisher 5. Both use sodium chloride for which pickling salt is the best choice.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been using plain kosher salt and have been happy. I just use the Microdol-X listings in the development charts, and all seems the same to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    I've been using plain kosher salt and have been happy. I just use the Microdol-X listings in the development charts, and all seems the same to me.
    Some salts have an anti-caking additive that causes cloudy solutions. The pickling salt does not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Some salts have an anti-caking additive that causes cloudy solutions. The pickling salt does not.
    I have found Diamond Crystal kosher salt from the Food Lion to be excellent in this respect. It even states on the label it is prone to caking. I keep my tube of it in the refrigerator. Just to point out, regular salt like Mortons and the other house brands of the same thing are about 50% sand (or something), and are totally unfit for this purpose. I once did a little experiment on Ohaus triple beams (hardly labatory-quality work), and found that regular everyday salt to be so full of crap that it is useless. It even tastes harsh compared to the jewish salt. Since I started mixing my own Microdol, I use the kosher for cooking too. It's less "salty" tasting, or not as sharp, or something I'm not describing well. I also was astounded how much volume of it there was for the weight when I measured it for a quart of Microdol. But I'm mighty happy with the developer. I use it 1:3 just like normal on roll film, and straight for 4x5 in a tray. I bought the sulfite and metol on ebay for peanuts. My film developer is almost free. I can use it like bathwater.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks very much. I could mix my own, but for now it's relatively cheap to buy it on the auction sites, especially if I can replenish it. I always use it full strength for the teeny tiny grain on 35mm. I can't find anything that gives me negs like I get when using it w/ several types of film.

I didn't know that about salt, but it makes sense, as often its taken from the ground, or under it. Wonder what is done differently on the kosher salt? I found this very interesting info on salt here

http://www.mortonsalt.com/salt-facts...and-processing

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin