Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,751   Posts: 1,670,646   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Stains on negatives

Does anyone have any suggestions what to do with this? This is the first HP5+ I've used, and the whole length is covered in these specks. They are visible when you look closely, and scattered more densely at one end. I've tried cleaning the negative obviously, and to be honest am ready to give up on this roll, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. Also, is there any chance the film was faulty or this was an issue with developing rather than just some kind of dirt? Appreciate any advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20150609_0003.jpg   Untitled-1.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Floating trash in the developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks to me like there was a massive amount of foaming and these are what you get when there are bubbles in the developer (aka air bells). Is your water sorta bubbly when you first run it from the sink? Did you tap the tank hard after agitating it each time? And especially at the beginning? You say this is your first roll of HP5+, but have you used the reel before? Could it have gotten photo-flo on it? Could there have been any photo-flo in the tank before you started?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That almost looks like it was splattered with a liquid either with something to retard chemistry before development or to strip developed areas like a bleach?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the marks visible as being on the surface when you look at the shiny side of the film against the light? In that case it's water marks - perhaps your local water is hard or has a lot of minerals in it. In that case you can do future final soaks in distilled water to avoid this. If it's not water marks then I've no idea what caused it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Bethe. If you had a little Photoflo or equivalent left over in the bottom of the tank, then when you poured in the developer, it could have created foaming.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Use loope on negative to identify which side and if it is in emulsion or on emulsion.
    Harman will tell an address to return film to for analysis.
    Always keep carton until post processing.
    If you invert only use enough liquid to cover reel.
    If you use a daylight tank the manufacturers recommendation (maybe 190 mls. for Agfa)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's some kind of chemical contamination, probably at the developing stage.

You need to use fresh new developer, stop bath (or water rinse) and fixer, also make sure the tank is well cleaned before use.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel pretty stupid saying this but I tried just soaking the negatives in water and it seems to have cleaned the spots off them pretty well...I'll reprint tomorrow and share the results. In any case thanks for the responses and sorry for the waste of a thread

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not a waste. It's all learning and sharing. Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin