Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,204   Online: 862

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

PyrocatHD 2:2:100 - for enlarging roll film

I had always been pretty good at putting 9 stops or more in a frame but never thought to stretch out 3 or 4 stops to snap up a scene, The last trip I took to a some dunes, I used tri-x and developed in p'cat 1:1:100 as always and just could not make the flat prints sparkle. I had to go to Phoenix last week and loaded up the SL66 with some FP4 and shot some desert shots - all with 4 stops or less SBR. I developed at 12 minutes in 2:2:200 and .. yes they are a little dense - but wow! On grade 2 paper they sparkle like crazy! sharp and virtually grainless! Although I prefer a little extra film speed, this is a combo worth trying again. It occurs to me that I usually shoot in decent light where contrast is already low. I now know to be more willing to expand my films when I can - which seems to be most of the time. - I could have chosen XTOL and pushed one or two stops and maybe I will. I was nothing short of amazed at how sharp these FP4/p'cat negs are. I will be doing a lot more of this - I bet the results for APX100 will also be good.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    ...I developed at 12 minutes in 2:2:200 and ....
    You meant 2:2:100 as in the subject line, right?
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been souping Efke 100 in Pyrocat-HD 2:2:100 with a reduced agitation scheme (10 seconds every 2 minutes) lately and getting some amazing results. "Sparkle" seems to be the right term for these negatives.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the Zone System!

Seriously, though, when you refer to prefering "a little extra film speed" are you saying that you used/needed more exposure for this? Do you think you would have got enough contrast by increasing dev time with 100+1+1?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes - correction noted - 2:2:100. And Yes - p'cat - never gives rated film speed (at 1:1:100 with standard agitation) in my experience. Even using 2:2:100 - film speed is still about 1 stop less than box rating. The results of longer times in 1:1:100 do not produce nearly the same expansion as same times in 2:2:100. I have had great luck by using 1:1:150 with TRI-X at full film speed. I believe the times were 25 minutes with four agitations - each after 5 minutes of stand. More grain - more speed. Still N development though. The results from 2:2:100 are N+1 to N+2 with very smooth grain - Still with the film rated at 1 stop less. I Frequently shoot TRI-X and HP4 at 1600 and use MYTOL 1:1 - I get very tight grain and similar expansion but for low contrast landscapes - the FP4 in 2:2:100 seems much better.

So many things to try!
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have settled on 1.5:1.5:100. I have also used 2:2 and decided that the higher concentraion was essential if I wanted decent times at 20 degs C for flat to normal conds.

T

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin