Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,867   Online: 891

Shooter
    Multi Format

Entering a whole new world

I spent the day breaking new ground in every direction. Developing 8x10 negs in J&C tubes with Pyrocat-HD. Previously I'd never developed sheet film larger than 4x5, and it was in tanks with non-staining developers. Aside from an initial screw-up that lost me 2 negs (someday I'll do something right the first time...), I wound up with 8 pretty good looking negs. 6 FP4+ & 2 HP5+. I used the times from Sandy King's article on Unblinking Eye with an aim towards Azo prints, and things seem to have gone pretty well. I took the negs out of the tubes after the dev/stop and fixed/cleared/washed in trays. I didn't notice any scratches... despite one of the negs falling out of the tube when I changed dumped the pre-soak and put in the dev. We'll see when they're dry and I can take a closer look on the light board.

Next week I'll get to printing a couple of them. And then I have to load up some holders with the 8x10 Efke 100 and J&C 100 I recently got and see how that works out.

Keep Shooting!
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Benno,
    Congratulations. There is a whole world of difference between a "little" 4x5 neg which must be enlarged and big piece of 8x10 film. Though I've retreated back to 5x7 film, looking at an 8x10 ground glass is a great learning experience. Have fun!
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, congrats, Benno.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now that the negs have dried and I've been able to take a good look at them, I see that my exposures are a little short on most. Printable, I think, but from what I've read about what makes a good Azo neg, they are probably a bit on the thin side. Two, however, look pretty darn good. Now to find the time to print them this week...
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin