Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,455   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Peter,

What 100asa film are you using at the moment?
    Is there a 400asa version?
    What developer do you use?

Peter
    You asked for suggestions for rating 120 tri x and dev. times for a condenser enlarger. For sunny contrasty conditions, which I like,I rate tri x at 200 and dev in I.D.11 which I believe is similar to D76, for 7.5 minutes at 20 degrees C. I invert the tank once every 30 seconds. The negatives mostly print on grade 2.5 or 3 Ilford multigrade warmtone on my Meopta Magnifax condenser enlarger.
    Tri x gives me a "look" which I like, though for my 35mm landscapes I prefer Foma 400. As Ian Grant says , you need to experiment to find out what you like best.

Alan Clark

I shoul have said that I dilute the ID11 1+1

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Grain shape is a consideration with me. Tri-x has very pointilated grain where HP5 has a kind of mushy paisley kind of grain. Tri-x will appear sharper and HP5 will have smoother tonality. I have also been enjoying the Tmax400/Xtol combo - extremely fine grain and razor sharp. I gave up on d-76 execpt for rare occasions (IR film etc) PyrocatHD is a wonderful developer to try as well - It adds even more accutance to tri-x and HP5 while still keeping the grain fine.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the many helpful replies. Gareth my 100 film of choice is APX 100 (rated 80) in rodinal 1:50. I've tried APX 400 in rodinal but have not been happy with it. I want to start with a traditional emulsion because these tend to be more forgiving in terms of exposure and development.
    Peter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Peter, I recently tried some APX myself, both the 100 and 400, developed in Rodinal at the 1/50 dillution. The 100 was very interesting and now that we are getting a bit more light again here in Scotland I'll probably be shooting a good bit more. The 400, well I wasn't quite so keen on it, not sure what to make of it, I'll probably stick with tri-x in rodinal ot T-max400 when I want a softer finer grained look.

I do tend to shoot handheld and with 35mm, I don't use medium format.

If you are after a similar look to the APX100, the obvious choice I think would be tri-x developed in rodinal. If you like crisp sharp punchy negs then there is nothing like rodinal. Of course you will have a little grain but I wouldn't imagine that would be too much of a problem with medium format.

Or if you want to try something completely different, how about Tmx400 in DD-X. Much softer than tri-x in rodinal but it's very tonal and detailed.

Maybe pick two or three rolls of different film and do some test rolls, perhaps of a subject you are familair with, or whatever. Bracket your exposures so you get a good workable neg and do a print or two. Then run with the film/dev you like the most.

Oh, what to do!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin