Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,775   Posts: 1,671,064   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Da: 35mm Curl

Shooter
    Multi Format

Da: 35mm Curl

This may be obvious and a dumb question to most... but I learned how to develop with 4x5 large format... B&W... several years ago.. then learned color and B&W in MF.. now low and behold.. I'm been shooting some 35mm in B&W and color.. and for the first time developing myself... but my goodness the curl longways ... today in Tri-x .. is this normal Tri-X phenomenon?
    Can't really get it to lay down in the film holder for scanning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find that if I weight the film while it is drying there is very little curl - never used Tri-X mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hang to dry with a weight on the end and leave over night.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I use a large clip on the bottom, but maybe will add more weight next time.. and over night,,, here in the dry southwest with the other formats.. never had to do that.. but maybe with 35 its necessary .

Shooter
    35mm
    Nah, it is just the way koda does it.
    Ilford and Foma 35mm films dry flat as a pancake.
    Fed 2, 5
    Zenit 11
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-4, OM10
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Google weighted film clips, they are the best, but if you shoot older expired film you'll need to rinse it longer than suggested and hang them 24 hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In the good old days, film wallets were available that stored strips of film face-to-face and back-to-back. Over time this eliminated the curl. The same idea might work with the sheet files.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I stopped using Tri-X mainly because of this. The negative strips curled so bad that they almost looked like small pipes. I use clips with a (small) weight in them. Ilford and others dry flat for me. But if you want Tri-X, try putting the sleeves under a pile of books overnight.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want dead flat negatives, in both dimensions, I highly recommend Double-X (5222) but you have to roll your own.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks fer the replies.. like the Tri-x and will try the books.. and will order some Ilford for 35m, to see how that does... for some reason didn't like it in 4x5, but that's when I was first learning how to develop, so you may well have been that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin