Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,242   Posts: 1,680,081   Online: 911

Shooter
    Multi Format

Times for Rollei IR400

Does anyone have a time for Rollei IR400 film in Xtol Stock? The only time I can find on the massive dev chart is for 1:1 and this isn't a possibility as I use a replenished system.

Also the time for 1:1 on MDC seems quite short. 8 minutes at 20 oC seems low when I was developing it in HC-110 (B) for 8:45.

Thank, Simon
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men but the obedience of fools. [Anon]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to look for MDC times for Rollei Superpan 200 or Rollei Retro 400S. They are all one and the same film as the IR400.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just developed a roll of Rollei IR in ID11 stock using the MDC recommendation of 6.00 mins at 20c. I thought that was a bit short, and sadly the resulting negatives confirm that. I've heard that these other Rollei films are the same as IR400, but I'm not convinced about that. Retro 400s gives an IR effect with an R72 filter, but to me it looks different to the IR 400. I would wait to see if anyone here can offer a tried and tested time for Xtol stock to see how it compares to MDC.
    Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    You might want to look for MDC times for Rollei Superpan 200 or Rollei Retro 400S. They are all one and the same film as the IR400.
    Thanks, but there are also only times for 1:1 or 1:2 for those films and those don't even match the times listed for the IR400. I'm aware of the labelling of various Agfa films as Superpan, Retro 400 and IR400. I know that the 400 speed Agfa film that Retro 400 and IR400 are based on is discontinued now but they continue to market both films, suggesting they are all based on the 200 speed film. The IR400 I have is a few years old now and from a time when I think they were still producing the 400 speed film. Either way if anyone has times for Rollei Superpan 200 or Retro 400 in XTOL stock I would be grateful for your help.

The alternative is to do a development test to determine a correct time time. I wonder if people could comment on this as a procedure, which I'm sure I've seen posted here but I can't remember exactly.
    • Use a strip of exposed leader, in room light
    • Dip the strip in to developer and give it 4 min development
    • After 4 minutes, withdraw a CM and carry on developing for a furter 30s
    • Repeat this at 30s interval until I can see no change in the density
    • The development time should be the point where there is no change in density
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men but the obedience of fools. [Anon]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the end I was really pressed for time and went for a time of 7 minutes on seasoned xtol stock. The negatives are entirely usable but look a little thin. I think they could do with another minute or two. I was bracketing as I was testing a new filter and it looks like those shot at EI 3 look quite good.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin