Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,776   Online: 986

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

XTOL with TriX and Agfa APX

Through all my dear colleageus at APUG I have been given so much advice and assistance in regards to film and developers and must say that the results I'm getting with Xtol with TriX400 and Agfa APX400 are impressive! Thank you very much. I most probably would never have tried it otherwise.

I'll try to post a frame or two that I shot earlier this morning.

1st Image: This couple are very dear friends of mine who are travelling in their caravan around Australia. This image was shot inside their little caravan with the door behind me closed to reduce the reflection on the spectacles. 10a.m., handheld, 1/30 sec, f/2.8, 35mm TriX-400 in Xtol (full strength, 7 minutes dev time).

2nd Image: Not my normal style of photography but nevertheless, handheld, 1/125 sec, f/4, 35mm, Agfa APX-400 in Xtol (full strength, 8 minutes dev time).

3rd Image: This was shot in a children's boutique in the evening with only very soft lighting at the counter and these shoes were on the opposite wall about 3 meters away and with indirect lighting. Shot at 800 ISO on the same roll and then shot the other frames at 400 ISO and thought I'd just sacrifice this shot when developing for 400 ISO. But this image worked out just as I had planned and I have all images at correct exposure. I'm happily very suprised with the result! Details: Agfa APX-400, handheld, 800 ISO, f/1.8, 1/15 sec, 35mm, dev in Xtol (full strength, 8 minutes dev time).
    Last edited by Nicole; 07-20-2007 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Xtoling Nicole

You never fail to delight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great image, Nicole! What did you rate the Tri-x at? I'm planning to try this combination myself soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Claire and Suzanne. Image 1 & 2 at box speed 400 and image 3 at 800 ISO. Developed exactly as per packet instructions.
    Last edited by Nicole Boenig-McGrade; 04-05-2005 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Can you remark on how it compares to your previous process? Grain, speed, tone?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Comparing XTOL with Rodinal: XTOL gives me a better tonal range and finer grain without sacrificing sharpness and shorter processing times.

I've heard about the 'sudden death syndrome' apparently accompanying Xtol's reputation, but since I use a lot of it (5 litres in 2-3 weeks) I am not worried about it expiring on me. I'm extremely pedantic when mixing the powders (mix full sachets A & B) and store my complete 5 litres in 5x1 ltr constatiner plastic bottles.

Images
    From general reading, it seems that "sudden death" syndrome is a relic of the early 1 liter days. It's a scary thought but I haven't seen anyone currently using it who has mentioned the problem. I'm definitely going to try it out.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neal, I know Lee won't touch the stuff after some unfortunate experiences. For me it's early days but I'm feeling quietly confident.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For those wishing to avoid the "Sudden Death Syndrome" of X-tol, there are the two formulas in "The Darkroom Cookbook" using Vitamin C (or close cousins); E-76 and Mytol. I've had good luck with E-76, but not with Mytol, although I only used Mytol once. I'm sure if I played around with times, temps and agitation more, it would perform well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Nicole Boenig-McGrade]
    1st Image: This couple are very dear friends of mine who are travelling in their caravan around Australia. This image was shot inside their little caravan with the door behind me closed to reduce the reflection on the spectacles.

Nicole, this image is well captured; it is GREAT.
    While I'm a large format photographer, I do believe I'll try Extol soon. I've been a LONG time user of HC110 and 320TXP and it's earlier version.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin