Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,520   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have gotten very nice results with TP (for scenes of normal brightness range) exposing it @ ISO 25 and processing it in Rodinol 1-150 for 7 minutes @68 with 2 gentle inversions every 2 minutes.

Jay

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear David,

I had heard that Kodak won't be making more technidol, but I shouldn't have implied that there will not be enough available. Also, as Jim stated, Photographer's Formulary has a note on their web site that they will continue to carry their version as long as there is demand. Fortunately for me, I only have two bulk rolls and about 10 individual rolls (all 35mm) around and I'm betting that C-41 will be available 'till I'm out.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    Freerider!
    I foresee two possible outcomes: a) I nail it and become the resident expert at extremely dilute dev't of discontinued films... or more likely b) I finish my limited stash of TechPan trying to get a half-decent result...
    You will nail it when you have 1 roll left

That's life

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nico,

As I recently mentioned in another thread, I tried several dilutions of Rodinal with 2.5 ml of concentrate in the tank and they mostly were able to develop one ISO 50 film... So, if you put 3 ml of Rodinal in a tank (with 297 ml of water) you'll probably be able to get something on your negs...
    There is a thing you have to consider though. When diluting a developer to a great degree, the alkalinity of the final solution will be lower (the development relies on the alkalinity of the solution...) and if the water you use for the dilution is slightly acid, then you'll be in big trouble... There's a threshold of alkalinity for the development to take place at all... You might have passed it...
    The water I use is checked to have PH 7, you should also run a test to make sure what kind of water you use... Otherwise, I would advise you to add an alkali to your solution to correct the PH.
    If you want to try other solutions, you can try two bath formulas, in order to control contrast. I've had sucess with Tetenal's Emofin diluted 2 times more than recommended.
    The C41 developer looks like a good option, too...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1

The above negative was processed for about 7.5 minutes in Rodinal at 1:150

Cheers,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_greant
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1

The above negative was processed for about 7.5 minutes in Rodinal at 1:150

Cheers,
    Thx for that Ian, nice shot and courageous of you to shoot TP with those bright windows on the left! What sized film is it?

I will try doubling both the concentrate to work at 1:150, and the amount of soup to work with 600ml per roll. That will give me 4ml to work on the silver... and hope the highlights don't go ballistic.

Thanks everyone for the help! Will post results (if any)...
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go easy on the agitation Niko, that helps in avoiding blown highlights.

Ian says once every 2 minutes and that sounds about right.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tech Pan in Rodinal

Hi,

I haven't used Tech Pan myself, but my father likes it, and I checked with him since he recently sent me some fine images from the Alsace region in France.

He's developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 4.5min at 68*F with normal agitation. Exposed at EI 25.
    He granted me permission to post one of the images here so you can view the results.

Hope that helps,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just tried Technical Pan in Rodinal - result: One less roll of TP at my disposal. Any experts out there to help?

Here's the deal:
    TP exposed at 25 EI
    Rodinal 1:300 and 12 minutes as per one version of digital truth. (The other version says 30 minutes)

Problem arises IMO because to develop one roll of 135 requires 300ml of soup in the tank. At 1:300 dilution, that's one milliliter of Rodinal. Agfa on old tech sheets said you needed 10ml per roll in your soup. However, at 1:300 dilution, that would require a tank that holds 3 liters!

TP is a microfilm high contrast emulsion, and to get a continuous tone result, it appears you need to severely dilute the developer. But at 1ml:300ml for one roll, the results aren't thin, they're transparent!

Has anybody done this before? Help!

Is it about the absolute amount of developer? Do I need 3 liters of solution for one roll?

I don't think this is going to work. The dilution is too high. You may want to try diluting less and adding boric acid to reduce the activity of the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Yes, the dynamic range was very wide but I found the high dilution worked very well at opening up the shadows and preserving the highlights. I shot it with my RolleiCord - so it's on a 6x6cm neg. Thanks for the compliment.

Thx for that Ian, nice shot and courageous of you to shoot TP with those bright windows on the left! What sized film is it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin