Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,167   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telerium toner

Shooter
    35mm

Telerium toner

In Phototechniques magazine some time back Dr. Robert Chapman was discussing the metal toners. He mentioned telerium toner which during toning forms silver teleride..hope I did not misspell that too badly. At that time I had never heard of telerium being used as a toner.

Does anyone here tone in telerium? What kind of print color do you get?

Want to share a formula? how expensive is it? Toxicity?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    In Phototechniques magazine some time back Dr. Robert Chapman was discussing the metal toners. He mentioned telerium toner which during toning forms silver teleride..hope I did not misspell that too badly. At that time I had never heard of telerium being used as a toner.

Does anyone here tone in telerium? What kind of print color do you get?

Want to share a formula? how expensive is it? Toxicity?
    I don't have the magazine, but it sounds as if you are refering to selenium toner which forms silver-selenide. If so there are a ton of threads on selenium. If not, I am also in the dark on Telerium toner.

The other option is tellurium, but I hadn't heard of that until I did a google search.

Shooter
    35mm

sorry.

I have committed another unauthorized creative spelling usage. Tellerium is what I am after.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In principle, the chemistry should be the same, though being heavier than selenium, the color will be somewhat different. In practice, Tellurium does what it wants, and often makes structures that Se/S won't.

Beyond the usual "be careful out there" warnings, do be aware that like most chalcogens, there is a smell associated with organotelluride compounds, so if you ingest any, you'll have a particularly bad case of garlic breath.

If you try some, post a picture so that we can compare the color with selenium.
    Last edited by fparnold; 04-06-2005 at 09:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification of sentence.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could try asking Wolfgang Moersch, who will surely know everything about the Tellurium toner. He actually knows everything about photographic chemistry there is to know (I think). And he's a really nice, helping guy. Deutsch is the preffered language to write, but I think he'll manage English too.

wolfgang@moersch-photochemie.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tellerium? never heard of that element... maybe it is Tellurium?
    Not very friendly, but it may work, since it belongs to the same family as Selenium
    Silver Telluride is known as Hessite, gray to silver gray mineral, so I dunno what color it'll give to the images..

I think buying it would be even moe expensive than selenium and safety wise is a bit less dangrous.
    Technical data pdf here

Quote Originally Posted by MSDS
    Effects of Exposure:

Elemental tellurium has relatively low toxicity. It is converted in the body to dimethyl telluride which imparts a garlic-like odor to the breath and sweat. Heavy exposures may, in addition, result in headache, drowsiness, metallic taste, loss of appetite, nausea, tremors, convulsions, and respiratory arrest. (Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials, eighth edition)

Acute Effects:

Inhalation: Toxic by inhalation. Dust may cause irritation to the respiratory system, dry mouth, garlic odor to breath, sweat and urine, nausea and vomiting.

Ingestion: Poison by ingestion. May cause dry mouth, suppression of sweat, garlic odor to breath and urine.

Skin: May cause irritation and itching.

Eye: May cause irritation.

Chronic Effects:

Inhalation: May cause anorexia, nausea, depression to the central nervous system and somnolence.

Ingestion: May cause anorexia, nausea, depression to the central nervous system and somnolence.

Skin: May cause dermatitis.

Eye: No chronic health effects recorded.
    It is insoluble in water but soluble in alkali solutions, so is alkalinity iis a problem an oxide or some sort of salt should be used to make a toner.

It is used in toners for photocopiers/laser printers... which sound similar but it's not the same
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm

thank you all

I have sent an email to Herr Moersch. Thank you all for the help and interest. Depending onwhat he has to tell me, I may make some toner. Should that happen I will post some information here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Silver Telleride? Isn't that the "low-rent" district of that Colorado ski resort?

Seriously, Claire, I'd never heard of the toner either, so any additional information you come up with will be interesting.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Damn and I read "Dellirium toner"...
    That would have been quite interesting!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I have sent an email to Herr Moersch. Thank you all for the help and interest. Depending onwhat he has to tell me, I may make some toner. Should that happen I will post some information here.
    Sources for Tellurium:

Sigma-Aldrich part #226418 about $70 for 100g
    ESPI metals
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin