Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,305   Posts: 1,681,617   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

TMAX 400 and TRI-X 400

Just like with the Ilford Films, I decided to subjectively compare Kodak TMAX 400 and TRI-X 400 at box speed 400 ISO both. The difference this time is that TRI-X was processed on D76 1:1 and TMAX was processed in TMAX Dev at Kodak recommended specs.

Of course controlling all the other possible variables as better as possible, I shot the same scene or subject with little time apart and developed both rolls (35mm) within the standard parameters. When Printing (see attachment), I also printed on to the same type of paper and developed exactly alike (Dektol 2:1) to avoid introducing more variables. To be honest , the Dektol on the tray was starting to lose its clear look because I had been sitting out for many hours. but were printed minutes apart so both are affected by the same variable.

The following are my subjective findings and I would like to ask out there if they are in sync with the scientific difference between these films.

- I found TMAX 400 to be more contrasty than TRI-X 400
    - I found TRIX to have coarser grain than TMAX . TMAX grain is finer rendering what it seems sharper prints.
    - I found TMAX to be less tolerable to high contrast scene than TRIX (this of course taking in consideration that both were develop at standard specs. in its respective developers.
    - I have the impression that TMAX produces sharper print, probably due to finer grain.
    - TMAX scans better than TRIX . No ICE, clean or sharpen functions were applied. They were scanned off of the paper final print.

In the nature print, look at the lower left bottom corner of both prints. Look how the TMAX is more contrasty rendering that vegetation more attractive.

thank you for your comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-150814-0003.jpg   Scan-150814-0004.jpg   Scan-150814-0007.jpg   Scan-150814-0008.jpg  
    Last edited by lhalcong; 08-14-2015 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have absolutely no interest in this "test" since not the same developer was used. Kind of pointless...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I have absolutely no interest in this "test" since not the same developer was used. Kind of pointless...
    +1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There's nothing wrong with testing two different films in two different developers. The problem here isn't that the TMY is more contrasty in T-Max developer, but that the two films haven't been developed to the same contrast. You have a starting point with the first test. The best way to determine the contrast between the two films would be to do a sensitometric test, but you can also just reduce the TMY development time and retest until the shadows and highlights fall at the same point. The goal is to have two films developed to the same contrast so you can evaluate their characteristics.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you for your effort. My respect you have done it APUG way, on prints. I just can't "read" it, I can't rotate monitor. Why here is 100 at one of the print?
    To me TMAX is lifeless film. And TRI-X is the best, but it is rich people luxury I can't afford
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
    Thank you for your effort. My respect you have done it APUG way, on prints. I just can't "read" it, I can't rotate monitor. Why here is 100 at one of the print?
    To me TMAX is lifeless film. And TRI-X is the best, but it is rich people luxury I can't afford
    What film do you use? Here in the UK at least the Kodak and ILFORD films are comparable in price.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    What film do you use? Here in the UK at least the Kodak and ILFORD films are comparable in price.

Tom
    One two buckle my shoe

http://shop.silverprint.co.uk/Bulk-F.../products/758/

?

Shooter
    35mm
    If I develop two films to the same level of contrast, what difference characteristics am I looking for then ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lhalcong View Post
    If I develop two films to the same level of contrast, what difference characteristics am I looking for then ?
    Micro contrast, general tone, accutance, effective speed, apparent grain shape and size. you name it....

To me, Tri-X is a reference film, because it can stand under and over exposure pretty well and it suits my needs. Just my 2 cents...
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"Only weak pictures need perfection." David Vestal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Out of curiosity, why did you use two different developers? Both developers and films are designed to be used with each of them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin