Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,597   Online: 1262

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak sepia II warm toner

I went down to the local photo suply store to buy sepia toner and this was all they had. How is this toner different than the "regular" kodak sepia toner? I need to tone some prints and I wonder what this stuff looks like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a 100% sure, but i read on B&H's website that its not supposed smell as bad as the regular sepia toner does.

As far as what the actual toning looks like, i don't know i never used it.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Gene,
    I think there is something in the archive if you do a search. Regular sepia toner is brown. this new stuff is more of a reddish brown. kind of ugly in my opinion. It matches the color sepia paper Kodak makes to print sepia toned B&W from a color neg.

I'd mail order the original, if possilble. I don't think Kodak has discontinued it, they're just offering an alternative.

Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Gene,

According to Kodak, Sepia II is warmer.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....16.5.46&lc=en

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thanks all

Thanks all. For what I'm doing, redder is not necessarily bad. I'll give it a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gene,
    I have not used sepia toners but I have used selenium. I toned Ilford MGIV WT FB in KRST (Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner) 1:9 at 7 minutes the color starts to shift from its greenish cast to purple- brown to reddish brown at 15 minutes. It was interesting to observe and I liked the effect it had on the image.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Gene

The new sepia toner is about 5-10 times faster in the part a side of things. When they switched to this new version I had to change all my times for the different effects I had been use to over the years.
    To this day I curse the moron who decided to improve an a - b formula for absolutely no apparent reason
    If you have old times with sepia be prepared to diute part a drastically and cut your times.otherwise the prints bleach too fast and will turn the ugly reddish brown others suggest.
    I am still testing my times to get back to the same looks I produced before this stupid ,ridiculas, moronic,boy I hate the idiot who decided to improve it.
    O ya did I mention because the a part needs to be diluted the exhaustion points are now unpredictable.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin