Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,363   Online: 1063

Images

Is this possible? Make shift safelight question

As a teacher I have changed my classrooms into a camera obscura and a darkroom in the past. My present classroom has two flourescent lights that are on permanently so blacking the room out is not an option, unless I cover the lights with thick black plastic, which I have already gotten in trouble for this year, or remove the bulbs, which I have already gotten in trouble for. For some reason I am allowed to cover them with butcher paper so I was thinking that, maybe I could cover them with red butcher paper and just use them as safelights. This would allow the room to be dark enough to turn into a camera obscura, and be used as a darkroom.

Would the light filtering through the red butcher paper work as a safelight, or would it fog the paper as we load our pinhole cameras then develope them?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My bet would be that the butcher paper will have small voids that would spill white light, so some fogging would likely result. There are filter sleeves made for the tubes, but they're a bit expensive, I believe. Rosco gels in the appropriate color are available in moderately large sheets at $5-10 per sheet. That might be an alternative.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    Cool. Thanks Ralph. I will check out Rosco Gels.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the red safelight are expensive, but they are SOOO convenient. I bought mine at Adorama.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try the tech info .pdf files on this page:
    http://www.rosco.com/us/technotes/filters/index.asp

They have equivalents to #25 and #29 Wratten filters that should work. Looks like they also have flourescent tube sleeves.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for a roll of Rubylith from a graphic arts supplier. A layer of that will do just fine.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another vote for Rubylith for making just about anything into a safe safelight. It's used in quantities, and you might be able to get enough free of charge if you request a "sample" for your school.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin