Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,213   Online: 955

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by panchromatic
    Is there guide lines for stand development? Is the a stand development massive data sheet? I'm interested in testing, and I assume that there would be a large amount of experimenting involved but some basic guidelines would be nice.
    I'll take a stand on this one...

NO. It's something you work out for yourself. My experience is with PanF shot normally in the bright California sun, Rodinal 1+200 agitated for the first 30 seconds, stand developed for the next 90 minutes. It gives a very 'graphic' look to the film with no blown highlights, but lacking in most classical midtones.

Test, test, test.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can use the standard dev. time with a film-soup combination and multiply it by the sqare root of two (=1.41) to get a starting point for a stand development time.
    For example, if the normal development time for FP4 in Rodinal 1+100 was 9 minutes, for stand development with the same film and chemical you should start your tests with (9x1.41=) 12.69 = 12.5 minutes.
    Of course, keep in mind that depending on the type of chemical and dilution you use there will be variations of the necessary stand development time, sometimes smaller and sometimes bigger...

Shooter
    35mm
    I also use semi-stand development. I use Pyrocat HD for semi-stand development. I realize that Mr king is the father of this devleoper and knows far more than I ever will about it and its usage. I have followed his regimen for semi-stand development as indicated on his unblinkeye website. If you have never visited Mr. King's website, I believe that you will find it to be a real treat.

Different photographers have different preferences when it comes to developers. I place more value, even though I work in 35mm, on sharpness rather than on the finess of grain. I normally make 6 1/2x 9 3/4 inch enlargements. This is a very economical easy to use developer that provides, in my opinion, the nicest possible results. It works well with normal, semii-stand and stand development. It never fails to delight me.

Images
    I thought Ed Buffalo(SP) was the owner of unblinking eye.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm

Maybe you are right

You know Mark, I am guilty of making an assumption. Maybe Mr. King is not the owner. Mr. Buffaloe, If you are the owner may I tender my apology and congratulate you on your site.

Whatever the truth of the matter, I have not changed my opinion of neither the website nor Pyrocat HD.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, the creator and owner of www.unblinkingeye.com is Ed Buffaloe. I just happen to have a few articles there, including one on pyro developers.

In response to an earlier poster who asked if there are any guide lines for stand development or if there is a stand development massive data sheet the answer is none that I know of. I can, however recommend some experimental times for the procedures that I call minimal and extreme-minimal agitation with Pyrocat-HD. These times are based interpolation of test data using different methods of agitation.

Minimal agitation – Assuming that you use Pyrocat-HD and find that a time of 12 minutes at the 1:1:100 dilution with normal agitation gives the desired contrast. For minimal agitation multiply this time by 1.35.

Extreme Minimal – Instead of a dilution of 1:1:100 use 1.5:1:200 and multiply the time by about 4X.

Semi-Stand – Use 1.5:1:200 dilution and multiply the time by about 6X.

See my previous message for definition of minimal, extreme minimal and semi-stand agitation.

Sandy King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin