Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,314   Posts: 1,536,686   Online: 908

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any chance that Efkebrom is DuPont? I think Efke films are descendents from the Dupont Adox.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    Any chance that Efkebrom is DuPont? I think Efke films are descendents from the Dupont Adox.

Paul
    I still have some Varilour and use it when I have a negative that could benefit from a long scale.
    If lith developed it gives lilac colours in Selenium or also weak ferri.
    I recently bought some Adox VC. While I have only made a couple of prints it does show similarities- seems to have a longer scale than Agfa MCC for instance and cooler. Gloss is less than MCC, somewhat like Varilour.

Varilour in gold toner will give the most beautiful gray-blue black.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    That's an interesting claim. Do you know of any other sources that discuss this?
    I have no idea. This is what I was told by a VP of the photographic products division of DuPont in 1976 or 1977. He could have been making it up - but, I doubt it.

It made sense to me at the time as one of the big areas in the photo industry was cutting down on water usage, etc. associated with print processing. The DuPont VP also obliquely referenced the fact that they would need new paper emulsion formulas for RC paper and that the photo paper (photoscience) personnel had nearly all retired from DuPont at that point and they didn't have the technical staff to support a new paper design.

That I also believe from experience with EG&G and trying to get custom flash tubes designed. When you have a single product that's been made for years to the same specification, without the need for further R&D, the technical people slowly disappear & what you have is a manufacturing firm with no R&D capability. All of the basic science has been done, and you just crank out the product.

DuPont paper was extremely hard to find even in the mid '60's. I used to order it from a store in San Francisco. If you walked into an average photo store and asked to order it, most of the time the answer was, "we don't even know who distributes it." I still have the green boxes in my darkroom with the white DuPont oval on them that I use for print storage.

As a side note to another post, yes, DuPont Varilour was the original variable contrast paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I still in the Military we got Dupont, but by the mid 70s Dupont was only selling in very large lots. I was stationed in Sacramento and the only place I could buy Dupont was in San Francisco. (same store?) They bought boxes of 500 sheets and broke it down to 100 sheet boxes. My question is what happened to the equipment at the DuPont plant? It might have sold along with the patents to another county.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format

DuPont

I remember reading a while ago that Cache Expo Graded was the same as Velour. I don't know this for a fact. The articall said that Cache bought the patent for the paper. DuPont paper was my Dads favorite. He had his darkroom back in the 40-60s.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like Cachet Expo Graded (which was the US brand for Maco Expo RF, which was actually made by Efke and sold under Efke's brand as well), but I would find claims that it is the same as Velour Black a bit suspect. There's nothing that's the same formula as it was 40 years ago, really, not even Azo, which is Kodak's oldest product.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I will try some of the Adox Vario I have in lith and selenium. If it gives lilac color then I can suspect similarity with Varilour. However Tim Rudman states that Foma is the last remaining cadmium paper which would infer that Efke's formula has changed.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin