Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,966   Online: 1189

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Developing MACO IR 820 / 400 Professional

Hi

I have ordered this film along with some of you here at APUG.
    Anyone up for discussing the development of the film?
    I will (of course) soup at least one roll in Rodinal, but what will YOU do?

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal of course!

I recently developed some Maco 820c Aura (5x4) in Rodinal 1+25, 9 min at 20C (per Massive Dev Chart). Here is a neg scan: http://not.contaxg.com/document.php?id=7420&full=1
    Shot through a Heliopan 715 filter, metered at effective EI of 5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with Rodinal 1+50 and went on to Pyrocat-HD. Both work well. Much more important in my experience is the right filter and the right exposure. An R29 will give you dark skies, nice wood effect aso. without much halation and with more open shaddows. With a very dark filter you need very long exposures (starting point 3-6 ASA), get lots of halation in the highlights and will loose the shaddows. You may like either one better depending on your expectations but the lighter filter is much easier to work with.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I will probably try and develop it in D76 stock.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete H
    I recently developed some Maco 820c Aura (5x4) in Rodinal 1+25, 9 min at 20C (per Massive Dev Chart). Here is a neg scan: http://not.contaxg.com/document.php?id=7420&full=1
    Shot through a Heliopan 715 filter, metered at effective EI of 5.
    Pete, This is a beautiful image and I would like to ask how you came to an EI of 5?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Pete, This is a beautiful image and I would like to ask how you came to an EI of 5?
    I tried the Maco 820/120 (the plain film, not Aura) with my Rolleiflex 3.5F with the original Rollei IR filter (equivalent to 695?). I rated it 4 ASA and used D76 1+1 13:00 at 20 deg. with continous movement (Jobo ATL). This gave good negs for an diffusion enlarger. Metering was with an unfiltered incident meter (Gossen Lunasix 3)

One thing to know is that the meter isn't measuring the IR light. I had excellent results with one scene (landscape with blue skies and about 50% white clouds), but the next scene on the same film (clear blue sky, no clouds) gave about 1 - 1.5 stop underexposure. So bracket interesting shots. BTW., I had no problems with standard Jobo 25xx-drums.

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Bruce. The Maco tech sheet is available at Retro Photographic:
    http://www.retrophotographic.com/PDF...0c_AURA_UK.pdf
    It recommends an EI of 3-6, so for a very sunny day (as that was) I tried 5. It's the first time I've used the Maco 820, so it was a lucky guess really. Later in the day there was less direct sun and I switched to EI 4. Those negs also seem to have worked well. With the 715 filter, you can hold it up to your eye and, after an adjustment period, see where the IR reflectivity is high. It helps with composition as well as giving a feeling for how much IR light is around.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As an aside, I shoot Maco at an EI of 1/2. It has to do with developer (PMK) and how much shadow detail one wants.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what filters are you guys going to be using with this film?

allan

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll be using a Heliopan IR 695, since it's one of the few available in 39mm (I'll be using a Bessa L with 21mm Skopar lens). I may also try it with a lee filter in a 35mm back on my Bronica, with 40mm wide-angle lens for some 24x56mm "panoramas".

The IR820's I've used I have developed in Pyrocat-HD. For 35mm I'll try Beutler's.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin