Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,663   Online: 806

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

First go at Efke R25 (and Rodinal...)

Based on comments on this board, I ordered a few rolls of Efke 25 from J&C and picked up a small bottle of Rodinal at my local shop. Burned three rolls over the weekend and really liked the results for a first time trying both the film and developer.

As much as I like to do it(took two classes a while back) traditional printing is a definite non-starter in my current home so I've invested in a decent digital printing setup - Imacon Flextight 343 and Epson 2200. This film scans fantastic! It's definitely the one I'll go to when slow speeds are possible. I'm still wanting to try some Foma 100 when J&C gets a new supply. In the meantime, I ordered 50 rolls of the Efke 25...

One thing - the Rodinal is great, no real grain at all with this film in 6*6 and sweet tonality. However, it may be a little too sharp for me. Are there any other developers that are reasonable easy to use, work well with the Efke and have a little lower accutance than Rodinal? I use XTol 1:3 a lot but could find any dilute times for Efke 25.

Here's some snaps from my first rolls. Shot with a Rollei SL66 and 80/f2.8 Planar.

Camellia - crappy small 640*640 jpeg

Big Camellia

Stones - crappy small 640*640 jpeg

Big - Stones

I'd never have thought to try this film(or developer) if it wasn't for this group.

Thanks!

Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas_m
    Based on comments on this board, I ordered a few rolls of Efke 25 from J&C and picked up a small bottle of Rodinal at my local shop. Burned three rolls over the weekend and really liked the results for a first time trying both the film and developer.

As much as I like to do it(took two classes a while back) traditional printing is a definite non-starter in my current home so I've invested in a decent digital printing setup - Imacon Flextight 343 and Epson 2200. This film scans fantastic! It's definitely the one I'll go to when slow speeds are possible. I'm still wanting to try some Foma 100 when J&C gets a new supply. In the meantime, I ordered 50 rolls of the Efke 25...

One thing - the Rodinal is great, not real grain with this film in 6*6 and sweet tonality. However, it may be a little too sharp for me. Are there any other developers that are reasonable easy to use, work well with the Efke and have a little lower accutance than Rodinal? I use XTol 1:3 a lot but could find any dilute times for Efke 25.

Here's some snaps from my first roll:

Camellia - crappy small 640*640 jpeg

Big Camellia

Stones - crappy small 64*640 jpeg

Big - Stones

I'd never have thought to try this film(or developer) if it wasn't for this group.

Thanks!

Thomas
    Xtol is also a high acutance developer.

If you want softer grain and lower acutance you can add sodium sulfite to your Rodinal.

For even softer grain and lower acutance use D-76 undiluted.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with you on Efke 25 in Rodinal. I shot some 6x7 with this combination and it made gorgeous prints. I have a bulk roll in the fridge now, waiting for the summer light.

This film does pretty well in Diafine, which gives a solvent-like effect. It definitely gets a a speed boost as well -- try EI 50 or 64.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DDX allows you to shoot at 50.
    I only tried it once, developed in DDX 1+9 for 8 minutes (based on APX25 time).
    Negatives looked a tad under-developed but printable.

I prefer Rodinal 1+100 for this combo though
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try Efke 25 and PMK pyro. I've found it to be a great combination. PMK is a one shot developer, easy to use and works well to give a nice tonality, very smooth. Use asa 12 and 7 minutes at 70f with 15 second agitation cycles. Puts you in tripod territory with slow shutter speeds, but well worth the trouble.

By the way, the shots you posted are very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i'm looking forward to trying this !!!
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin