Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,972   Online: 906
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16

    ansco 130 as a split developer for film?

    I know ansco/PF 130 makes a good split developer for paper. I also know several folks here use ansco 130 (well... two or three) for film. Does anyone have any experience using ansco 130 as a split developer? I'm interested in a split developer that uses the same time regardless of temperature, and develops up to a certain point and stops regardless of how long the film's in the soup. Would ansco 130 fit the bill?

    -KwM-

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Phoeinx Arizona
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,343
    There is an Ansco press formula which is a split developer, I used it as well as Dinafine and seem about same. I can't find Dinafine locally, but I used for a couple of years in the summer when my tap water is 90-95f, the negatives seem rather flat but correctable with higher contrast paper. Very good shadow detail in high contrast lighting. If you are interested I think I have a older text with the Ansco press formula and I will dig it out in a day or two.

    Paul

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    There is an Ansco press formula which is a split developer, I used it as well as Dinafine and seem about same. I can't find Dinafine locally, but I used for a couple of years in the summer when my tap water is 90-95f, the negatives seem rather flat but correctable with higher contrast paper. Very good shadow detail in high contrast lighting. If you are interested I think I have a older text with the Ansco press formula and I will dig it out in a day or two.

    Paul

    Paul, do you mean Diafine? If you do, I agree. Diafine is usable over a wide range of temps and you soup the film in bath A for "x" minutes and bath B for "x" minutes. It is however, a speed increasing developer and that may suit your needs or not.

  4. #4
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    Paul, do you mean Diafine? If you do, I agree. Diafine is usable over a wide range of temps and you soup the film in bath A for "x" minutes and bath B for "x" minutes. It is however, a speed increasing developer and that may suit your needs or not.
    Actually, the bigger picture is that I've decomissioned my previous darkroom and my new one wont be up for several months.

    I've got a friend whose on the fence about doing darkroom work for the first time, and I'd like to show him the easiest film processing setup: basically, load reels in a changing bag, use chemistry that requires no temperature control, wash in the kitchen sink and hang to dry from the shower rod.

    Diafine is the other part of the equation -- I'd been planning on using it for my high-speed developer. Thanks for confirming that it doesn't care about temperature within reason. The other part I need is a conventional speed developer. That's what I'd be hoping I could do with a PF130 kit, mixed as a split developer, not as one stock solution.

    Hopefully, I'll be able to find that conventional speed developer and wow this friend into the ease of the very most basic film processing setup and draw him into the clan of the darkroom junkies.

    -KwM-

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,269
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    45
    hi

    i did some split ansco 130 yesterday in a unidrum.
    it was roll film ( i don't usually process rolls in 130 because it can be kind of contrasty ) but i used 130 - dilute 1:8 for about 7 mins and at that point i drained and put black-stuff in there that was probably dilute 1:2. i have an image in the gallery that was done that way.

    i haven't done sheets like that yet, but probably will in a few weeks time.
    usually when i process sheets it is 1: 5 or so for about 7-8 mins. i've been processing everything from ilford fp .. tmax ( 100-400 ), tri-x and plus x like this for about 5-6 years. a few months ago i thought i would try something different instead. i bought and used xtol for a while, but i have gone back to 130.
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-12-2005 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    The other part I need is a conventional speed developer. That's what I'd be hoping I could do with a PF130 kit, mixed as a split developer, not as one stock solution.

    -KwM-
    There is a difference between a 2 bath developer and split developing. Split developing typically uses 2 different developers. A popular example is split developing prints with a combination of Ansco 130 and Ansco 135.

    2 bath developers (like Diafine) use an A solution containing the developing reagents (plus preservative) and a B bath containing the alkali.

    Ansco 130 is a paper strength developer. When I use it as a film developer, I dilute it 20:1 with water.

    This is something to keep in mind if you attempt to split Ansco 130 into a 2 bath developer.

    The formulas for Ansco 130 and Ansco 135 can be found in the Paper Developer Section of the APUG Chemistry Recipes.
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  7. #7
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    hi

    i did some split ansco 130 yesterday in a unidrum.
    it was roll film ( i don't usually process rolls in 130 because it can be kind of contrasty ) but i used 130 - dilute 1:8 for about 7 mins and at that point i drained and put black-stuff in there that was probably dilute 1:2. i have an image in the gallery that was done that way.

    i haven't done sheets like that yet, but probably will in a few weeks time.
    Not exactly what I'm after, and after further research and re-finding this thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/11072-divided-developers-b-w-paper.html

    I see the correct term is divided developer. I don't want to do split developing, I want to mix some of the ingredients for part "A" stock solution, some in part "B" and use in sequence.

    Actually, this post:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...8221#post88221
    by Tom Hoskinson has the recipe for mixing divided Ansco 130.

    I'm looking now for anyone with experience using it for film. Maybe they divide it but use a greatly diluted part "A"...

    -KwM-

  8. #8
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16
    hahaha... while I was linking to and looking up Tom Hoskinson's posts, he was posting to this thread. halarious. :)

    Thanks tom! I guess diluting part A 20:1 would be a good place to start. Any comments on times? Temp is not a factor, right?

    -KwM-
    Last edited by kwmullet; 04-12-2005 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Floriduh
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,267
    Images
    2
    Do yourself a favor and shoot part of any roll at rated speed and for a 1 and 2 stop push. Develop the film in Diafine, get a loop and look at it. While you do this have your friend there.

  10. #10
    kwmullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX, US
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    889
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Do yourself a favor and shoot part of any roll at rated speed and for a 1 and 2 stop push. Develop the film in Diafine, get a loop and look at it. While you do this have your friend there.
    excellent tip. we'll do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin