Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,356   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would give Tri-X in Diafine a try. Here is an example:

Canon EOS-1 - 85mm F1.2L
    Tri-X (TXT) @ 1600 in Diafine
    Prints nice with a number 4 filter
    1/250 @ F2.8 - Available Lighting Only
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ripon.jpg  

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks very much, Eric! I'll run a roll of Tri-X through Diafine in the next 24 hours and determine what I get and how much I like it.

Terry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I shoot tri-x @ 1600 regularly and develop in XTOL. I am pleased with the results. YMMV

some examples:

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1

mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a nice shot-Eric. The expressions in the shooter and blocker make the shot interesting.

My neighbor shot for his high school newspaper. He liked the 4x5 speed graphic because of the high shutter speed. This would have been in the 50's. I can only imagine the monster flashes going off to give him enough light with the older, slower films.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't shot black and white inside gym, yet...Do you still need a filter for the flouro or sodium lights? I know that they really beat up color daylight films, if left unfiltered...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Joe,
    No you shouldn't need filtration for B&W indoors. filters are used to balance color temp with color films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have had a good success with Tri-X @1600 developed in Microphen (hard to find I'am afraid, but you'll never know...). 12 minutes with 30 sec initial agitation and 1 inversion every 2 minutes.

Here's an example from the shots I took a a few weeks ago of my newborn daughter. Less grainier than similar shots I did with Delta 3200, although a bit more contrasty.

Good luck

Stefano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Masha_TriX1600_example.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Hi Joe,
    No you shouldn't need filtration for B&W indoors. filters are used to balance color temp with color films.
    Ah, yes...[slaps forehead] and this would be why I need a tungsten filter inside home, if I'm not using flash...and bw seems relatively uneffected...hmmm...now I REALLY want to play with some TMZ 3200 that I happened to have, waiting in the frig...thanks Shagg!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Perhaps HP5 if the Tri-X doesn't work out?

For what it's worth... If you like the Tri-X pushed two stops, then by all means stick with it. This late in the game my recommendation may be pointless, but I have really liked using HP5 @ EI 800/1600 developed in Xtol (full strength) for indoor use. So if the Tri-X doesn't work out, this might be for you as well.

- Thom

Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    Next weekend I will be shooting an indoor volleyball game with my Leica R8 and probably my 180mm APO Elmarit. Since these days I'm only shooting b&w film, which do you recommend? I suspect the lighting will be rather low and dull which means ISO 100, my favorite speed, will be out of the question. At the same time, I loathe gritty grain in prints and want a good tone spread.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin