Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,224   Online: 1186

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao
    Konical,

So, to sum up, these prints have undergone a total of 34 min total wet time, and I can assure you that the water and chemical solutions has begun to enter the paper base. The first sign of danger was soft edges.
    I've had to trim the prints in order to salvage them.
    So to me 34 min of wet time is too much for Rc paper.
    What are your real-life experiences?
    My real life experiences are that I have had the emulsion peel from RC paper when it's been left to soak in water for more than six hours. In less than that, it hasn't happened. I strongly doubt if any accepted process of development and finishing will run you into problems.

I don't know what current thinking about archival properties of RC is, because I rarely ever use it. However, I did some experimenting with it when it was first introduced more than 30 years ago, and those prints are just fine (except for a few that were fixed in exhausted fixer, and those have gotten "brassy" in spots).

Larry

Shooter
    35mm

RC Prints -long immersion

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao
    I need to tone some 200 prints to make them archival.
    They are on Rc papers and I have a bottle of KRST handy to mix.
    I'm concerned about the fact that Rc papers can be ruined because of a too long immersion in chemicals or in water.
    If the "accepted" standard is to tone to 6 min @ KRST 1+9, counting all steps of development, stop, fixing, toning, washing the total of 15 minutes can be exceeded thus letting water or chemicals penetrate in the paper base, peeling off the emulsion and ruining the print.
    What are your method of toning Rc prints without ruining them?
    My reply backs up most of your other replies, although there were notes of caution indicating a problem could arise. Until I started to read about printing in some depth I had no idea that there was a problem real or imaginary with prolonged immersion- certainly not in the normal develop, fix wash process. When I started printing it was at an evening class in a college darkroom with about 20 other students all trying to produce as many prints as possible in the once a week two and a half hour session we had. As a consequence of time pressures, students would practically form a queue to develop, fix and deposit prints into a large tray of running water and then leave them for practically the whole session while they repeated the process with each print before forming another queue at the end of the session for squeegeeing and passing the prints through a high speed heated roller machine for RC prints.

I spent two terms there and must have seen more than several thousand prints completed. In all that time not once did I see any problem or hear any student complain in the following weeks that the emulsion had lifted.

Certainly I was guilty as the rest at leaving prints washing for maybe over an hour before sorting them out. Incidentally the wash trays would end up with dozens of prints in them at any one time and not once did anyone mention damage.Prints would often tend to stick to one another stick and get less than gentle treatment when the students came to retrieve their own prints - not easy to sort out your own prints from others in a large tray in safelight conditions.

Incidentally many a student would not retrieve prints in the large fixer tray at the recommended time and yet there was no obvious problem with highlights degrading. I know "fine prints" may suffer and fine printers set exacting standards but all I can say is that when the prints were shown at end of term there was no obvious deterioration and the tutor never said that some had been left too long in fixer.

So my experience is that RC paper is a pretty "tough bird".

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    when disposing of selenium that has gotten near exhaustion, i will take several RC prints and put them in a tray with the selenium and leave them for days at a time to fully exhaust the solution.

Never have had the paper split, fall apart , did get a lovely shade of tan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022
    I don't have an axe to grind here, I'm interested in opinions on this topic though. I found this link interesting and relevant to the issue of the archival nature of RC prints:

http://www.geocities.com/thombell/rcvsfiber.html

the image permanence institute is at rit --- kodak has quoted their stuff to me before when i asked them specific questions regarding the archival nature of rc paper. i've had rc-prints 'silver out' ( that is what i have been told they did ) where silver stain/spotches covered areas of the front of a rc prints. the images looked like they were solarized in certain areas. kodak had no comment about the problem but suggested that had nothing to do with the paper because a rc print processed correctly would outlast ( by many many years ) any archivally processed fb print. ( this is what the image permanence institute suggested to kodak ).

while i can see printing on rc for the shortened drying times &C, i wouldn't really invest any energy printing on rc unless it was absolutely necessary and the prints were not expected to have a long life. while its been suggested rc is as stable as fiber, if archives don't accept rc prints as "archival", i don't think i will either ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin