Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,918   Posts: 1,521,940   Online: 1114

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

shooting and developing out of date Plus-X

I have been given several pro packs of out-of-date 120 Kodak Plus-X film (September 2000) and wondered about what to expect when developing it (e.g. fog), if anything. And whether I need to take anything into consideration when shooting?

Thanks,

Tom Kershaw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    I have been given several pro packs of out-of-date 120 Kodak Plus-X film (September 2000) and wondered about what to expect when developing it (e.g. fog), if anything. And whether I need to take anything into consideration when shooting?

Thanks,

Tom Kershaw
    The 100 sheet box of 4x5 Plus-X I'm using now "expired" in May of 1998. It came out of the freezer where it had been since "new" about 4 months ago. No noticable speed loss nor fogging...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Images
    Good Evening, Tom,

Unless the film was stored under the most adverse conditions possible, I'd treat it the same as fresh film. That said, Plus-X is no different than most other B & W films: it will gradually lose contrast, and the fog level will rise, with aging. A couple of years ago, I shot a roll (never frozen or refrigerated) with a 1980 expiration date; it had an unacceptably-high fog level; 2000-dated film I wouldn't worry much about.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check out this this PXP 1973 shot from "huggyviking"--

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6832

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the responses. I'll report back with results when I develop the film.

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I recently got some Plus-X 4x5 film packs that expired in 1967. One of them was totally no good, but the others were all pretty good. I developed them in PMK Pyro and they came out with hardly any fog, or loss of film speed! The one pack that was bad had some fungus growing on the emulsion, but otherwise it was ok too. (The shots were wasted, but if the fungus wasn't there they would have been fine).

I guess it all depends on how the film is stored. Generally film that's within 5 years of it's expiration date I treat as fresh, anything older I worry about more.

-MikeS

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Becuase of the cost of 8x10 film, I have bought alot of outdated film at half price. I have not seen any problems. I think the oldest was 5yr out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most films in the speed range of Plus-X will go a long way past their expiration date with no noticeable defects. Plus-X, in particular, ages very well, and unless it's been stored at high temps (say, above the 80 to 85 degree range), your film should work fine.

Fog from normal atmospheric radiation will accumulate over an extended period, and shows up more in the faster film emulsions. Med speed films at just five years out of date shouldn't have accumulated much, if any detectable excess base fog. Run a test roll and see what you think. Normal developing times should work well for the age of this film. I wouldn't expect it to have lost much speed. Try your test roll at +1/2 stop, and work from there.

Dean
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin