Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,610   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford discontinues ULF film

On the photonet large format forum is this post by Fred Newman of the view camera store.http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00BrDw

I guess for all of the ULF shooters we will ned to throw our support behind J&C photo as they are now the main supplier for ULF films in the US.

In light of this news I am not going to put to much stock into suggestions from Ilford that they may bring back discontinued products. in fact for consistencies sake, I have probably bought my last box of any sheet film from Ilford as I do not want to mess with different emulsions between formats.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sounds like unless Photowarehouse is able to obtain master rolls and recut them Ilford in ULF is gone. Like you said, might as well start testing and using the JandC film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do we have a definite answer on whether or not Photowarehouse will still be using master rolls of Ilford or will switch to a different film maker?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you stop making ULF? Don't they mean they aren't cutting it at the moment? It's the same film just cut bigger. No?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Do we have a definite answer on whether or not Photowarehouse will still be using master rolls of Ilford or will switch to a different film maker?
    Not a definite one but rumors. Michael Mutmansky sent me an e mail asking if I wanted to join with him on buying a large lot of the Ultrafine 125 as PW had indicated to him that the film might not be available in the future. I dont know if he did buy a large quantity or not, but I am not taking the chance.....in any case, Jim, start thinking about glass plate holders...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Last I spoke with Photowarehouse, it was the last master roll coming from Ilford, it was, however FP-4 film, not HP-5 and they were out of the HP-5. They are in the throws of testing new films. I've no news on what they are testing or what is left of the roll.

I did order 300 sheets of 1220 when I heard it was the last, and now have a freezer full.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

ULF FILM

Maybe if people pooled their resourses Ilford would gladly cut the film. Kodak used to do this if you placed a large order. It's all about economics. If they can't move it fast enough it's not worth it to them. I realize that for most people the sheer thought of putting out a substantial amount of $ for film is difficult. The upside is that you have freezer full of film; you don't have to keep retesting; and your supply is guaranateed.
    Regards, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is 8x10 and smaller cut from a smaller width roll then 11x14 or larger? I would think if it all comes from the same roll it would still be available to re-cutters like photowharehouse.

It does not make sense to not provide rolls for re-cutting, especially if you are not competing with your own product. From a production point of view it seems it would be more cost effective to provide the rolls and not incur the cost of cutting and packaging a more niche product. That would explain no longer providing Ilford branded film to Fred Newman and others.

Either that, or they may be phasing out sheet film all together.

Does not really matter to me. I will use JC or Efke or Bergger or work with fellow apugers to design consistent emulsions for glass plates.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have to agree with Joseph, the biggies don't seem to be interested in the alternative photographers. Bergger started out making 4x5 and up. Then went to 120 and 35. Not sure about JC and Efke but they are names I didn't hear a few years ago. I say support the newbies, they don't $100,000,000 to keep producing film. Kodak and Ilford should just sell there plants to someone who cares and get on with what they want to do. Seems everybody would be happier.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    How do you stop making ULF? Don't they mean they aren't cutting it at the moment? It's the same film just cut bigger. No?
    I seriously doubt that it is this simple. Consider the production costs associated with just the coating process alone. I suspect that these cost are probably not linear with the width of the roll of product. They might reasonably, therefore, coat different ranges of film sizes on completely different coater lines. If this were the case, and if sales volume of the product from one of these coaters consistently didn't support keeping the line running...well, I guess it'd be a pretty easy business decision...even for the comapny that claims they "...intend to be the last man standing in B&W photography."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin