Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,412   Online: 783

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

9x12cm in stock at J&C

For those of you saddled, er I mean blessed with 9x12 cameras like my ICA Ideal, I just noticed J&C has 9x12cm sheet film in stock in asa 100 Foma.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Foma100

Zenrhino-would you post back after you have tried this film and let us know what you think of it? I tried some Foma200 in 120 and I'm still pressing the negatives. I can't use a product that curls like that; not when Agfa or Ilford or Fuji give such good results for the money. Of course sheet film "should" be different but maybe you'll let us know.
    Thanks.Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Will do, Peter. Granted, this will be my first time developing this film so I have no idea what to expect. My 4x5 development thus far has been a touch...erratic to say the least. But it'll be nice to do large(r) format with a camera that actually has a lens instead of a pinhole! =)

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No need to wait -- I have shot a full 25 sheet box of Fomapan 100 in 9x12 cm (it's been available at J&C for quite some time, along with Efke PL100 in the same size). It's quite nice, IMO; it works well in HC-110 at higher dilutions (H and G), and likes Diafine as well, though it doesn't gain a huge amount of speed in Diafine. The times listed for HC-110 for this film in sheets on DigitalTruth's Massive Dev chart were submitted by me.

It makes good cyanotypes and enlarges well, doesn't seem prone to scratches like Efke is reported to be, and (at least to my eye and metering technique) seems to deliver a pretty good rendition of full film speed. Add in the price, and it's hard to argue.

The image below is a 6x7 cm crop from 9x12 cm Fomapan 100, shot with a 1927 vintage Ideal, 13.5 cm f/4.5 Tessar, exposure 1/4 second at f/5.6, available light. EI 160, Diafine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grandma3a (8 bit, spotted, web size).jpg  
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Zenrhino-would you post back after you have tried this film and let us know what you think of it? I tried some Foma200 in 120 and I'm still pressing the negatives. I can't use a product that curls like that; not when Agfa or Ilford or Fuji give such good results for the money. Of course sheet film "should" be different but maybe you'll let us know.
    Thanks.Peter
    I've found that I can get the Foma 120 to dry fairly straight by hanging a weight from the bottom of the film and making sure it doesn't dry too fast. I put a small bowl of warm water in the bottom of my drying cabinet (actually a drying "bag"...a bag made to hang clothes inside of a closet...the type with a zipper up the front). It takes the film about 8 hours to dry, but it's much flatter than when I dried it at normal room humidity.

Annoying as this procedure is, I like the film enough to go through this process.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin