Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,781   Online: 894

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

To quote Homer...

DOH!

After a few months enforced exile from the darkroom I finally managed to get some "red light" time. I figured this would be a good time to try out 16X12 fibre, so bought some Ilford MG.

After a few test prints I was struggling to get a decent black, and the print looked much flatter than normal. Then it hit me, I've bought Matt instead of gloss! As I said earlier DOH!

So, what, if anything can I do to improve the Dmax, (To answer the usual, it was fresh dev at 20C, and I deliberately overexposed some prints but to no avail.) The deepest black I can achieve is just a dark gray, charcoal I suppose, and I really don't like what I'm seeing. I'm very peed off with myself at the moment, £40 down the pan because I didn't read a label. Ouch!

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Martin,
    You could try selenium toning. This usually increases Dmax.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sell it on ebay?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep it and use it for people and flower subjects.

Shooter
    35mm
    There are I believe in Adam's book the print some formulas for print varnish that if I remember will increase black desnity and print reflectance.

When you quoted Homer I imagine this was the Homer of Homer and Jethro fame...thats the only Homer is it not?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    So, what, if anything can I do to improve the Dmax,
    You could try waxing the surface to increase the Dmax - just like some of the platinum people sometimes do. I can't guarantee you will not end up with a waxy mess... but a smoother surface is the key to Dmax.

See the current Phototechniques mag that just came out for an explaination of Dmax and paper surface.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. Having lived with the prints for a day and mounted one, have had another play with it on some old portraits I think it's a look I could learn to like, for the right subjects of course. I still have a way to go before I learn to get the best out of it, but hey isn't learning half the fun.

Claire, I haven't read "Homer and Jethro", but if he ever said Doh! then that'll do for me LOL.

Cheers all

Martin.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    hi martin

If you have matt paper no problem, Try printing a bit heavier than normal and then use bleach sepia to increase the contrast. The dry down prints look very nice and I use this combination on a regular basis.
    Works very nicely with nudes, still lifes, mood images.

Images
    OK, now we know. You don't read Homer and Jethro. You would have seen them on screen.
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin