Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,652   Online: 794

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Fastest film ever.

If you've been reading the Rangefinder and Medium format forums, youll know that Im after the ultimate solution for night time candits.

So what is the fastest film? Which film can be pushed to the highest speeds with results acceptable for 8x10?

Daniel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Isn't the obvious choice Ilford Delta 3200asa.
    I get good results at 3200asa printed at 10x8 inch. I've gone to 6400asa and still got reasonable 10x8 inch prints but it is getting pretty grainy.
    Try it with Ilford DD-X.

How fast do you want to go?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Delta 3200 film a couple of times for indoor photography without flash in dim situations. It provides quite good results up to 5x7, I have never tried to enlarge larger than that.
    I shot the film at EI 3200, and had it lab developed in Xtol chemistry, 35mm roll.
    Delta 3200 can be pushed as far as EI 25,000, but Ilford recommends making test exposures before using it for anything of value.
    Kodak Tmax 3200 is also pushable all the way to EI 25,000, and I suspect a high speed developer such as Diafine could be used (or is it Acufine, I can never remember) to extract the most out of these speed monsters.

On a number of occasions I've also used HP5 pushed to EI 1600, and to me that looks much better than the Delta 3200. I still don't enlarge it larger than 5x7 though.

Also, I don't know what kind of lens you use, but you may be well served by trying to find a lens with larger apertures, so you can use a film of lower speed and subsequently finer grain.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In fact it doesn't matter which fast film you are using: Tmax 3200, Delta 3200, Neopan 1600 or even the R3 (Rollei) will give you when you choose the right developer, together with a M R.F. and a 1,0 or 1,4 lens all posibilities on minimum light conditions. A Leica R.F. like M7 can be used by hand on 1/8 - 1/15 S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    A Leica R.F. like M7 can be used by hand on 1/8 - 1/15 S.
    Wow, I didn't know Leicas were so powerful! Do they have some kind of freezing ray that comes out of them to stop people from moving while this 1/8 sec exposure is going on?

OK, to the question, I think Delta 3200 is the better of the 3 faster films. I'll see if an attachment goes in of a Delta shot. It's a street scene, and you can check out the sky for grain patterns. The print has waterspots on it, but you can get some idea of the grain. The neg for the Delta shot was devved in D76.

Also see my gallery for the photo "Church Girl" which was done on Neopan 1600 devved in Rodinal. D76 would be a better choice for finer grain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails main st.jpg  
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are a few methods of increasing film speed, several of which are mentioned in the 'Film Developers Cookbook'. One involves 'gassing' the film with hydrogen peroxide. Perhaps looking into hypering film as is commonly done with astrophotographers..

I've had great results with pushing 120 Tri-X in Acufine and Microphen.. Possibly not what you wanted to hear but it could be worthwhile to look into.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    A Leica R.F. like M7 can be used by hand on 1/8 - 1/15 S.
    Tried taking photos of children at 1/8 or 1/15 of a second? Its fine if people are posing, Im really wanting to get up to 1/50. But yes, I am looking at getting a Bessa 2R w/35mm 1.2 just for night shots.

Heres the camera thread here

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...t=14506&page=1

I dont remember whether this photo was TMAX 3200 or Delta 3200, either way, its just a bit grainy for 8x10 I think. I havnt tried a chemical print yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Now that is a great idea. I forgot about hypering!!

Daniel.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hypering won't really help you that much. It mostly reduces reciprocity failure, rather than increasing true speed within the reciprocity window. In addition, the film that hypered best, Tech Pan, is out of production.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Delta 3200 / Rodinal sample

I just remembered I had used some Delta 3200 last year, shot at 3200 and developed in Rodinal of all things. Shot indoors in a very old bowling alley in South Minneapolis, Minnesota.

These are scans of the 35mm negs directly done on a flatbed scanner, so they look like crap, but they will show how grainy this combination is. Still, the results on 5x7 enlargments are not bad at all.

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin