Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,035   Online: 881

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shipping film and chemicals to Mexico

I will be going to Oaxaca for a month and I am thinking about sending my film, rodinal and fixer down to my hotel.

Any advice or suggestions for carriers etc?

thanks,
    david b

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I will be going to Oaxaca for a month and I am thinking about sending my film, rodinal and fixer down to my hotel.

thanks,
    david b
    I have made two trips and was advised that you may have to pay duties on any large amounts of items. The customs form stated a person was allowed 12 rolls of photographic film. I don't know how much this would be for sheets. If I were to stay a month I would use a lot more than 12 rolls!
    Maybe you can purchase everything in Mexico.
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by david b

thanks,
    david b
    I too got the info that only 12 rolls of film were permitted. I carried in about 20 rolls, for only a week's stay, and no one at the airport even so much as glanced at it. If it were me, I'd chance carrying it in; if they charge you duty, it will at least be done on the spot. If you ship it, and it lands on some bureaucrate's desk, your month will be over before you get your film. On the other hand, not having shipped anything to Mexico, what do I know?

Larry

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I carried in a lot of film last year when I went and no one blinked an eye at it. They were interested in my wooden 8x10 though

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I am planning on taking in about 200 rolls.

This is going to be fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, don't, Do Not ship any photographic material throughout customs in Mexico, the bureaucracy is terrible, you gonna spend a lot of time trying to take your things out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've decided to carry my film in and Jorge is going to supply me with some rodinal and fixer so I can develop while I am there.

Things are coming together nicely. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    David,

are you driving into Mexico or are you flying in? the reason I ask is that driving in, my truck was looked at only once and that was because he wanted to see a box that I had my 8x10 camera in. I had film all over the interior of the truck and no one said anything at all. When I last flew in to Mexico they made me fill out some forms and they just looked at it and checked it off. But I did not have 200 rolls in my bag either.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am flying. I think I will be making my girlfriend carry in 100 rolls and I'll do 100 rolls.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    You won't have a problem carrying the film in I never do and I go there frequently. They don't even question it, and frankly you don't need to mention it. As far as the chemicals, possibly the closest big city to where you are staying can provide those. Mexico is a lot more Americanized than people realize. There's Home Depot, Sears, Penny's in Cancun.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin