Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,928   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Images
    Good Afternoon,Daniel,

Ditto all the above, especially the comment by Mikeb z5! That covers my situation exactly.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Really pretty easy. I converted the laundry room in my basement into a darkroom. Trays get set up on the washer and dryer and run to the wash tub for the print washing. Got a screw in safe light and just unscrew the rest. The biggest expense was the enlarger and timer. So if you've got that, man your almost there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like you have the basic equipment, so why not giving it a try.
    You may want to start using your bathroom as darkroom, or a basement for that matter
    As long as you can get water, electrivity and fresh air you'll be in business.

If you are just starting don;t bother about painting walls, etc just yet. Try to develop a feeling and see if you want to go deeper into it.

Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    It all seems kind of daunting, I love shooting film, and a friend gave me his enlargers etc... I just dont know what to do with them and how to set them up in a normal house.

Or given I have a large format printer (24"), should I just not bother?

Daniel.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    My first black and white darkroom was my bathroom. I placed the enlarger on top of the toilet, the tub held my trays.. My prints from then are just as good as the ones that I make inside of my dedicated dark room. The only difference is comfort, bells and whistles.

Any darkroom is better than no darkroom and free enlargers sound mighty nice to me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use a temporary darkroom like many of us here then I'd recommend the bathroom as it's much easier than the kitchen. It's much quicker to set-up and return the room to it's original use, plus much easier if your caught short

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing screams darkroom like a basement!!! I set up my darkroom in November, and have had a blast with it ever since. I have been taking photographs with 35mm and medium format for about 4 years seriously, after setting up my darkroom, I have learned more in a shorter time then I would have thought possible. I also bought a 4x5 camera, not all things about digital are bad Darkroom equipment can be had for a song now!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are talking B&W then all the above applies. If you are talking colour, then your problem is going to be the pong from the chemicals unless you have a daylight processor such as a Jobo and the more complex processing cycle. As suggested, setup in the bathroom and give it a go: worst case is you blew a few beer tokens on chemicals and paper, best case (or possibly also the worst case ) is you are hooked!

For B&W work, get no-odour stop bath (citric acid based) and a low-odour fixer and life will be much more pleasant in a temporary bathroom/darkroom with no, or limited, air extraction (I use Fotospeed products, but they may not be available in your location - lots of other makers do similar products). Agfa Neutol WA developer has a low odour (almost none that I can detect), has excellent dish life and is economical.

You definitely need a book to get the basics down - try your local library.

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Watch out darkrooms are very addictive. I start in a 3x3 closet walking across the basement to a laundry tub to wash. I'm on my fifth build now. (My wife can't stay in one place for more then a few years) Built this one around the 8x10 enlarger. Hope we stay here a while.

Don't stress out about it. You'll probably enjoy it. Good luck
    Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What' really coool about the darkroom...is that everyone has to stay out till I say its clear..hehehehehe, which is for HOURS!!!

I squeezed mine into a 5x8 foot corner of my basement. It really wasn't that hard. A few 2x3s (I'm too cheap to use 2x4s) a piece of cheap luan plywood for wall skin and a sheet of regular plywood for workbench surfaces.

The toughest part was running water. If you've got hot and cold and a drain, you just need to tap into them. I used an old stainless steel sink tha I had ut in my shed. You can use extension cords for power, but I tapped into a circuit that was in the basement and added a coupke of recepticles.

Just remember, once you turn to the dark side, you may never go back...muah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Daniel,

there were times when I was to busy or distracted to set up a darkroom although I had everything at hand. It's a small step. Looking back, not having one is harder by far. If you can do it, don't hesitate.

Stefan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin