Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,149   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

How Old Is Your AZO??

I'm always amused by posts where someone says they have some AZO that was torn from the hands of a dead Roman soldier killed while carrying off loot from some enchanted land in a far away country. And it prints better than the new stuff, too, just a little benzatriazole that's all.

I have some AZO that expired in Aug 1947. It was probably made in 32 B.C.

So, how old is YOUR AZO???

-Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My Azo's only about 3 years old....but.....I bought a Calumet c1 outfit last year to rob the Ries Tripod. There was a 250 sheet box of Gevaert Contactone. No Agfa-, just Gevaert. That dates it to at least 1964. Gorgeous paper. Like AZO but double weight. No benzotriazole needed. Hope there are some stories out there. I love threads like this. Good bottomfeeder stuff.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I had some from 1921 that I sent off to Paula Chamllee. She sent me a print that she had printed, a very nice print. Ammazing that it was still good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My Azo is fairly new, but I'm eager to test the box of Haloid Industro I just got from 1952.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got some Kodabromide, Agfa Brovira, Ansco Cykora, Luminos Bromide, Luminos Proof-S, Luminos Industrial, Ansco Ardura, Kodak Bromesko, Kodak BG-4, Kodak Velox, and then some current Forte in the freezer. Tomorrow I'm going to try and skip out of work early to go pick up some paper developer and do some printing.

Not on topic at all, but I wanted to play the "old paper" game since I don't have any Azo. If anyone is interested in trying any of these out send me a PM.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't know exactly, but the photographer from whose estate it was rescued has been dead for 20 years so it's mid-eighties at the latest. I'm told that he had it for quite a while, but there's a zip code on it, so it can't be much older than the 60's I guess and that sort of makes it fairly recent for AZO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
    So, how old is YOUR AZO???-Mike
    Hi Mike!
    Well, I just turned 70 on 14 Aug so my "AZO" must also be 70!!!
    The best to you, Kiku

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kiku
    Hi Mike!
    Well, I just turned 70 on 14 Aug so my "AZO" must also be 70!!!
    The best to you, Kiku
    Did the AZO came out of the womb with you? Did you bring enough for the rest of us? Was the AZO fogged by the xrays they took of your mother while she was carrying you?

-Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    FYI, AZO is (was) the oldest photographic paper still available until just recently when Kodak announced it will no longer be made. It saw the light (pun intended) in the late 1890s in Rochester at the Photo Materials Company which was bought out by Eastman Kodak soon after. Mine is fairly new but I have some that goes back 25 years or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is circa 1969. Kind of neat because it is a 500 sheet box of 4 1/4 x 5 1/2, surface E-2 double weight with a deckled edge. Gonna be neat for some 4x5 contacts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin