Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,924   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Mixtures of chemicals - Bonehead move of the day

Hi All.

Well I sure messed up today! I bought a pound of Hydroquinone & a pound of Elon (metol) on eBay last week (both were Kodak brand, in a single listing), and it came in today.

When I went to put it away I decided that the bottles looked like they had enough room that I could pour in the remaining amounts of Elon & hydroquinone that I had here already, and have one bottle of each, rather than 2. So I pull out all the bottles, and I open the old bottle of elon, pour it into the new one, mix them up a bit (so it wouldn't be old on top, new on bottom, but rather a mix, then I proceed to do the same with the hydroquinone, and as I'm getting ready to mix it up, I notice that the bottle I just poured it into says ELON on it!

So now I have a pound of hydroquinone with a small amount of elon in it, and a pound of elon with some hydroquinone in it! I decided that it would probably be better to mix them all together, so I emptied both containers into a larger mixing bowl, mixed them together, now I have slightly over 2lbs of a roughly 50/50 mix of Metol & Hydroquinone!

So... Am I totally screwed? Is there anything I can do with them other than pouring them down the drain? Maybe I should just throw in some amidol, and some pyro, mix them all into TEA, and come up with a new developer?

-MikeS

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Premixed paper developer? You may experience quite a bit of variation between batches, but it should be allright for paper. I wouldn't want to develop film in it though - by the time you have figured out how the developer works today, it will be time to mix a new batch and start all over again...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this is how new formulas are created. The problem is going to be you'll really like the results and won't be able to duplicate them. :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Second what Ole said. Haven't we all done one of these? I mixed up some Rodinal the wrong way once and used it for paper; worked fine. In fact, all of my experiments gone wrong end up as paper dev.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    In most developers where one ingredient is superadditive with another--in this case Metol (Elon) with HQ-- there is a point at which the combination of the two is at optimum ratio, and beyond that the superadditivity factor ceases to increase any further. I don't know where this is with Metol/HQ, but maybe someone like Gainer can help you here. It may be that once you figure out through experimenting on a test roll or two what a developing time might be, that all you'll have done is waste some of the chemicals which are not really contributing to the reaction because they've passed the optimum ratio.

For sure it will work as a paper developer, albeit I suspect, as a fairly contrasty one. You might want to divide your paper developer to control the contrast. Put all the ingredients except the sodium carbonate in the first bath, and the carbonate alone in the second bath (about 1/3 cup per two liters of water). Give the print 30 seconds or so (not critical) in bath 1 and then however long in bath 2 until it develops to completion--usuallly less than a minute.

Larry

Images
    One of the published formulas of Kodak film developers, blessed if I can remember the name, uses equal parts of Elon (metol) and hydroquinone with Kodalk as alkali. It was used for sheet film in the days when press photographers used 4X5 Speed Graphics and monstrous flashbulbs. For a quick and (hopefully not) dirty trial, you can mix 2 tsp of your mixture, 2 tbs sodium sulfite and 2 tsp of Kodalk in a quart or liter of water. It should also work with 1 tsp of sodium carbonate in place of the Kodalk. If you like it, you can weigh out the teaspoon measures so you can tell others your formula to the 0.01 gram.
    I'm sure you will find a similar recipe in "The Darkroom Cookbook".
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    One of the published formulas of Kodak film developers, blessed if I can remember the name, uses equal parts of Elon (metol) and hydroquinone with Kodalk as alkali. It was used for sheet film in the days when press photographers used 4X5 Speed Graphics and monstrous flashbulbs. For a quick and (hopefully not) dirty trial, you can mix 2 tsp of your mixture, 2 tbs sodium sulfite and 2 tsp of Kodalk in a quart or liter of water. It should also work with 1 tsp of sodium carbonate in place of the Kodalk. If you like it, you can weigh out the teaspoon measures so you can tell others your formula to the 0.01 gram.
    I'm sure you will find a similar recipe in "The Darkroom Cookbook".
    Perhaps the biggest problem would be assuring that the metol and hydroquinone were both uniformly distributed in the micture. If you made a saturated solution of the mixture in an alcohol, the differential solubility of the two might give you a good ratio to use in something akin to D-76. Hydroquinone is considerably more soluble in propylene glycol than is metol. You would have to contrive a way to determine how much of each a given volume of the saturated solution holds, and what to do with the sediment.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You're getting off light...I poured a half gallon of ripened Harvey's 777 developer into a bottle half filled with rapid fixer.

Images
    So now you have a monobath developer.
    Gadget Gainer

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gadget, I'm pretty sure 777 isn't fast working enough to make a monobath with rapid fixer. HC-110 Dilution A is barely fast enough, with the rapid fixer diluted at 1:24 (normal film strength is 1:4).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin