Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,576   Online: 952

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    On the subject of changing the apparent contrast of graded paper by using different spectra of light I used this for many years when I printed in silver with graded papers and it works. The effect is not great by any means, but it does affect the exposure of the paper by virtue of the light transmitted by the film.
    Jorge - that's really interesting. It's a technique that I don't think I've ever seen discussed as a printing tool, even though the books on sensitometry all mention this effect. I love seeing theory being put into use in practice!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    My photographic efforts are directed to the end of making photographs that are worthy of display. By that I mean technically well executed images as well as artisticly fulfilling. That would tend to encompass not duplicating sandstone images and slot canyon images that have been done ad nauseum.
    Donald, sorry you feel my prints are not as worthy of display, as are yours apparently are. I happen to enjoy sandstone, the slot canyons, and the other images I presented on my web site. And I'm sorry if you do not see any difference between them and the other ad nauseum photos you've seen - I happen to know there is a technical difference that you missed on some of those photos. And it has to do with understanding the properties of light, colors, and they way they are captured on film. Too bad you didn't recognize that so you could have appreciated it...

And ultimately, if all my photos do is invoke a feeling of "I wish I had been there to see that", then I am succesful.

By the way, where are your prints? Do you have any photos online? I would like to see some of your fine Azo prints. And my offer of a print exchange still stands. I promise my print will not be a color print, and not of a slot canyon.

Kirk - www.keyesphoto.com

Images
    Kirk,
    For what it is worth I found your images quite good. Assuming that the images look better in real life I am certainly impressed.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    Sandy - have you thought about reciprocity failure? Not in the usual sense of longer exposure reciprocity that we experience with low light levels, but on the other side of the scale - extremely short exposure reciprocity.

Reciprocity failure is one possible explanation and was suggested on the AZO forum.

Another thought is that there may be some uneveness of illumination caused by a slight interval between when the tubes actually come on. This seems very possible when the exposures are 1/10 of a second or less.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 04-28-2005 at 10:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    some uneveness of illumination caused by a slight interval between when the tubes actually come on. Sandy
    Unevenness? From the flickering of the lights, as part of the light bank starts up faster than another part?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    Unevenness? From the flickering of the lights, as part of the light bank starts up faster than another part?
    Yes, that is what I mean. With the light integrator set to 0.1 seconds I see this as a distinct possibility.

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Yes, that is what I mean. With the light integrator set to 0.1 seconds I see this as a distinct possibility.Sandy
    If the bank is consistant, try rotating the step wedge 180 degrees and make a second contact print. I would suspect that the bulbs may have some consistancy to their ignition/firing order.

Or, use a second contact frame, and hold it at a distance from the bank to cut down on the intensity of the light. Perhaps you could get the contact frame far enough away from the light bank to drop the exposure time to a few second?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thicker glass to absorb more UV light?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the link. I like the one of the waterpocket in what looks to be granite.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin