Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,989   Online: 994

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Has anyone used Polaroid Type 51 Film before?

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Polaroid Type 51 film? I am only interested in the negative it produces. So if anyone has used it and has any insight on it or has an example or two, the information would be apprecaited before I start my own tests.

Thanks

Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you mean Type 55? I don't see a Type 51 on the Polaroid site. Type 55 is 4x5 sheet film that gives both a positive image and a negative. To get the best results for each you should expose for the one you want. If I recall correctly I expose at EI40 for the best negative exposure. The negs were beautiful although the edges had to be trimmed to fit into the 4x5 holder for the enlarger I was using. I stopped using the film because about 80% of the negs were ruined because I couldn't get the film out of my 545 holder undeveloped (I wanted to put it back in later and develop when I had a clearing tank handy. I don't relish carrying around a big bucket with all the other things it takes to shoot 4x5). Every time I pressed the release switch and pulled out the film I just got the cover, the film stuck in the holder and was exposed by light leaking in where the cover used to be. I don't have this problem with any other kind of film except Type 55. Comes out fine when I push down the 'develop' switch and pull it out.

The emulsion is also a bit soft, so unless you treat it with a hardener (directions on the web, run a google search) treat it carefully.
    Benno Jones
    Seattle, WA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, have shot tons of Type 55 though. Type 51gives you a very high-contrast print (640ASA) and also gives you a medium-contrast Negative (80ASA). I was intrigued by it due to the 1 to 2 stop faster negative than Type 55. I can control the contrast in my lighting to compensate for the higher contrast negative. Here is a link on the Polaroid site in the event anyone wants to check it out. I'll guess I'll report back soon with some tests of my own.

http://www.polaroid.com/global/detai...bmLocale=en_US

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bennoj
    Every time I pressed the release switch and pulled out the film I just got the cover, the film stuck in the holder and was exposed by light leaking in where the cover used to be. I don't have this problem with any other kind of film except Type 55. .
    Seems to me this is a problem of the old style 4x5 holder-do you have the current model or an old one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought two boxes of 51 to try it as a faster film than 55. Not impressed, too harsh for me. If you pay the shipping I will send you the one box I have left for free. Maybe you can use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mkravit
    I bought two boxes of 51 to try it as a faster film than 55. Not impressed, too harsh for me. If you pay the shipping I will send you the one box I have left for free. Maybe you can use it.
    Mkravit,

If Eric doesn't come back to claim this, I'll take it

Jeremy
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin