Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Long lasting deep tank developers.

I need a long lasting developer for 4x5 deep tanks where I will be using floating lids for storage. A developer with the ability to prevent streaking for stand and semi stand developing would be a plus, but I could also just do the routine. Current film of choice is Efke PL100. I'll be contacting the negs for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Well THAT was interesting. I sorta remember reading about 777, but never tried it. What confuses me is the conclusion at the end that it is not as well suited to outdoor shooting as studio with controlled lighting. First, isn't agitation the way to control that with 777? And, if highlights are well controlled with 777, can't you get good results with proper exposure?

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Dunbar
    Well THAT was interesting. I sorta remember reading about 777, but never tried it. What confuses me is the conclusion at the end that it is not as well suited to outdoor shooting as studio with controlled lighting. First, isn't agitation the way to control that with 777? And, if highlights are well controlled with 777, can't you get good results with proper exposure?

Earl
    I think their thoughts are the difficulty of controlling the upper zones through process. I believe in process control and testing. If you have control of the process, the runaway effects of bright sunlight are reduced. I haven't seen any issues using the Adox 100 3x4 film in 777 at 75deg F. But testing is key to getting consitant results.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was going to suggest 777 as well.. Acufine/Microphen have an outstanding life and i've used both for pushing 4x5 sheet film but i'm not sure if that's what you'd really want.

I'm interested in doing this as well, actually. After having replenished Acufine and loving the results, I'd like to maintain a 5gal tank with floating lid. Seems conveinent.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Also please note, i've never tried 777 but have read about it's longevity and quality of results..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim S. has been using 777 recently and has spent a little time with it now. Hopefully he can shed some light on this for you. tim

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FX-2 is another longlasting developer - so my recommendation is "anything with Glycin in it".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    Jim S. has been using 777 recently and has spent a little time with it now. Hopefully he can shed some light on this for you. tim
    I've been through two 4 gallon cases of it now. I simply refuse to use anything else as long as I can get it. It's very quirky developer, but the results are unique. One must believe Fred DeVan's admonitions about agitation and take them to heart. That's how you tame contrast with Harvey's 777.

It seems to lose significant potency after 6 months of use, so I dump half of my ripened gallon and fill the jug to the top at that time with freshly mixed developer. I use the rest of the new stock as replenisher.

I'm not actually using it the way Cartier-Bresson and Gene Smith and Fred DeVan did. They used 4 gallon deep tanks. I use 1 gallon in a tray.

I develop 400TMax in it by time and temperature and Efke R50 by inspection. If I could see anything under the inspection light with TMax I would do that by inspection too.

Take a look at the 3rd picture from the left on this page (thumbnails at the bottom). The one of the child turning the corner taken in Greece. That's the look you get with it. There's no doubt in my mind that 777 was the developer used for this picture. (The appearance of blown highlights is due solely to poor scanning. I've seen this picture in books and it's beautiful.)

HTH

Jim Shanesy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    jim:

when you use the developer in a tray, do you just dump it back into the tank/bottle after use?

i had thought of changing developers and using 777, but it seemed to me kind of difficult to shake the jug.

are you buying it from blugrass packaging? or are you using the formulation on the unblinking eye? when i spoke with the folks at bluegrass, the lady who mixes it up told me the article was "way off" as to what they speculated the componants were, but they might have been just telling me that so i buy direct from them ...

-john

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    I've been through two 4 gallon cases of it now. I simply refuse to use anything else as long as I can get it. It's very quirky developer, but the results are unique. One must believe Fred DeVan's admonitions about agitation and take them to heart. That's how you tame contrast with Harvey's 777.

It seems to lose significant potency after 6 months of use, so I dump half of my ripened gallon and fill the jug to the top at that time with freshly mixed developer. I use the rest of the new stock as replenisher.

I'm not actually using it the way Cartier-Bresson and Gene Smith and Fred DeVan did. They used 4 gallon deep tanks. I use 1 gallon in a tray.

I develop 400TMax in it by time and temperature and Efke R50 by inspection. If I could see anything under the inspection light with TMax I would do that by inspection too.

Take a look at the 3rd picture from the left on this page (thumbnails at the bottom). The one of the child turning the corner taken in Greece. That's the look you get with it. There's no doubt in my mind that 777 was the developer used for this picture. (The appearance of blown highlights is due solely to poor scanning. I've seen this picture in books and it's beautiful.)

HTH

Jim Shanesy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin