Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,911   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DBI - Which side to look at?

I have been using the technique of developing by inspection for a while now, and have become rather accustomed to it, and see no real alternative for the precise control it offers, at least with my small amount of experience with sheet film.
    Up until now I have used Agfa Rodinal at 1+50 and have been pleased with the results, using FP4+ and various Kodak films.
    I wonder which side is best to inspect on, however. The emulsion side or the base side? I read that Michael A. Smith likes to view the base side, when he uses Pyro developers. I don't use Pyro developers, so I wonder if that is true for a developer such as Rodinal too. If I remember correctly, Rodinal is more of a surface acting developer than Pyro.
    I have been inspecting on the emulsion side up until now, out of fear that I'd scratch the emulsion if it was face down in the developer.

Thankful for insight,

- Thom
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I inspect the base side. But frankly, if you're getting the results you want from inspecting the emulsion side, why change?

Cheers,

James

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some developers work deep, so it is easier to judge the emulsion side. Others work from the surface down, so the entire emulsion side looks black even though the film is underdeveloped.

I have used everything from Neofin Blue to D-23, and you have to decide for yourself - it all depends.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin