Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,177   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

JOBO and roll film

I've been processing FP-4 using ID-11 at 1+1 in a Jobo. This is sheet film. I'm dead happy with the negs, they suit my enlarger to a T. What I'm wanting to do is start processing FP-4 roll film that way too, same set up as with sheet film for similar results. Anybody use the 2502 reels? Any problems? Got a couple spare? - if anyone has I'd love to hear from you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have any extra reels but I love mine. Use them for 35mm,120 and 220. If you're times match then you can use the same tank for 35mm,120 and 4x5.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 2502 reels work just fine, and I get better results with them than the 2509 reels with 4x5. The only hard part is loading two 120 rolls onto one reel. Sometimes the film doesn't want to advance all the way to the end. I think this might be because I used the E-6 Stabilizer on the reel (apperently a big no-no). I didn't have any problems when the reels were new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    I think this might be because I used the E-6 Stabilizer on the reel (apperently a big no-no). I didn't have any problems when the reels were new.
    I use the 2502 reels and have not had any problems with them. I like them a lot. I don't have any problems loading them. Heed the recommendation not to use E-6 stabilizer on them though.

I also recommend using fingernail clippers to clip the leading edge corners a little if you have problems with the film binding when you load.

With all that said, you might want to think about the added development control you can get with doing hand inversion processing of your B&W film. I have now stopped using the full Jobo for my B&W (though for inversion processing, I just use a Paterson super system). My Jobo is now only used for color and, at the moment, for sheet film (though I'll probably stop doing B&W sheet film in the Jobo too before too long - old habits die hard).

I like doing the high dilution stand and semi-stand development for B&W now, and the Jobo doesn't let me do that in the full machine.

-chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my tanks on a motorbase not a Jobo processor. It lets me use almost any amount of chemical I want. It's been tested with more then 2litres in my big tank. High dilutions aren't an issue for me. If you want hi dilution and stand then why not take the tanks off the machine and use them in inversion mode?

They work fine. Use the same time and temp as 5x4 if the lenses have the same contrast, ie modern 4x5 and 2 1/4 sq. The times will be close.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using the JOBO 1500 and 2500 film reels with E-6 and C-41 "Stabilizer" for some time. now. I know JOBO recommends that stabilization should take place with the film off the reel, but I haven't done that for quite a while, now.

I think it is a good idea to periodically disassemble the reel, soak them for an hour or so in dilute dishwashing detergent -- Dawn? - and give them a good scrubbing with a high tech scrubbing tool - a.k.a. - a Toothbrush.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format

jobo reels

Hi guys
    I to have used the jobo reals though never with the E6 process or trying to load 2x 120 rolls. When I have problems loading I find a quick tap in the palm of my hand has always sorted the problem. I don't tend to use them very often as I prefer the SS reals and tanks but as I have just started in 5x4 I am looking to try the jobo reels for the deving of these films.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    - and give them a good scrubbing with a high tech scrubbing tool - a.k.a. - a Toothbrush.
    After I started doing that (and saving money by using the same toothbrush I use on my teeth) my dentist told me my teeth would probably last me another 300 years without fading.

Oh, yeah, and my general practitioner gave me 6 months tops...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I use my tanks on a motorbase not a Jobo processor. It lets me use almost any amount of chemical I want. It's been tested with more then 2litres in my big tank. High dilutions aren't an issue for me. If you want hi dilution and stand then why not take the tanks off the machine and use them in inversion mode?
    I agree. In my note I didn't intend to imply that the Jobo tank was not useful, just that I no longer see the need to start up the whole processor for B&W. I agree that you can effectively use Jobo tanks for hand inversion processing. In my case, I don't happen to have an inversion lid handy, and do have Paterson tanks handy, so I just use that for my roll films. I'd have been happy using the Jobo tanks for it if I happened to have an inversion lid.

The only point I was trying to make was that there are good arguments (related to development control) for doing hand inversion versus roller processing. But if the priority is minimizing chemistry and perhaps also roll to roll consistency, by all means roll that puppy on a motor base.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin