Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 639

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    PXP makes a great film for portraits. The only good results I ever had with PXP and HC-110 was to use it between 1:100 and 1:127 for 28 to 35 min as a compensating developer but in D76 it is wonderfull.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Plus-x is somewhat blue sensitive and benefits from a yellow filter outdoors.
    It does not perform rated at 125 ASA but rate it at 64 in Microdol or perceptol and it's hard to fault
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm
    I do not view Plus-X as a sleeper. I believe it is dead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak web page on Plus-X has a picture that will give you an idea of its characteristic feel: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...14.23.20&lc=en

I've tried it and didn't like that feel, perhaps my subject wasn't appropriate. It can also be a bit hard to print, in order to get the contrasts right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I just shot a roll today and since nobody seems to keen on using it with HC-110 maybe I'll give Xtol or Rodinal a try being that I ran out of D-76. Hopefully I'll have some halfway decent prints to post if anyone's interested.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is no way anyone should have troulbe getting good contrast with this film. That was one of my favorite things about it - I could get tons of contrast. Again, take a look at the 2 night shots in my gallery - lots of contrast. I also liked the low fb+fob of this film as it kept enlarger exposures short which I liked. I found it very convenient to use in Rodinal and the grain looked great to me - do you see grain in the 5x7 prints of mine?

I did run tests with it to calibrate it to my printing paper at that time - Zone VI Brilliant graded paper. I used a calibrated step wedge to determine the scale of the paper and developed my negatives to match it. That's how I was sure to get good contrast with this film.

BTW, if anyone out there wants to sell of any Plus-X sheet film, I'm buying it. I especially would like 5x7 and 8x10 or bigger. I have tone of 4x5 in the freezer.

Thanks.

-Mike

Images

Plus-X

I've been shooting Plus-X developed in Rodinal 1:50 as my classic film in classic cameras. There's something about this film and old lenses that I like. The attached photo was taken with Contaflex II with yellow filter and sunny f16 guess. The negative was scanned on an Epson 2450 and curves adjusted in PSE1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nest tag.jpg  
    Last edited by r-brian; 05-02-2005 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wrong camera ID'ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the great film developer matches for B and W landscapes is Plus X and D76. The trick is to use replenisher and keep the D76 rippend. I knew folks who had tanks of D 76 that they kept working for years.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've used Plus-x for years. For me it is the best portrait film I've found. Develope in D23 1:1 or 1:3. Was afraid they would screw it up when they changed the formula a year or so ago. But thankfully still looks the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,
    Since this thread has at least briefly come back to life, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth. Specifically, while I thought the old Plus X of several years ago was nice, I preferred FP4+. However, the recently ( 2001 ?) reformulated version 125PX has significantly finer grain in 16X20 enlargements from 35 MM negs as well as truly beautiful tonality for landscapes and portraits. I think it is lovely in Sotol 1-2, but even nicer in PMK. It and Acros 100 in Acutol 1-14 are significantly ahead of any other medium speed films I have tested (and I have tested plenty) in terms of grain acutance and tonality combined.
    If you haven't tried the newer version 125PX you may be surprised to see how much an already fine film has been improved.
    Cheers,

Jay L

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin