Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,491   Posts: 1,571,343   Online: 770

Thread: Agfa Mc 111

Images

Agfa Mc 111

I was just looking for paper and this Agfa is substantially more economical than the others. More than $10 to $15 per 100 shts.
    Does anybody use it? What are your impressions? I have been using Polymax Fine Art, can anyone compare these two papers?
    Thanks.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It is my paper of choice! A BEAUTIFUL paper...

I haven't used Polymax for at least 10 years but found it cool and it had a weird sheen to me.

MCC comes in 2 finishes... 111 = glossy, 118 = fine grain matte (semi-matte)

I think MCC111 is perfect because I tone it for protection in selenium and it gives it (to me) the perfect colour/whiteness to the image. Most papers that are WHITER and BLACKER seem to me to look cold when a white mat is put on. This paper matches white mat board well.

118 seems to me to be a touch warmer in the base but tones wonderfully in Kodaks brown toner. (perfect brown to me)

Don't let cost make you think you're missing something... Many can attest to the fact that Agfa makes good fiber paper.

Hope that helps,

joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have used this paper for several years and really love it! Even though it is classified as having a slightly warmish tone I find developing it in Agfa Neutol Plus produces a neutral tone look. It is unlike Polymax Fine Art which is more cold tone to my eye. Agfa makes great products but does little advertising in the U.S. and I have been told by more than one photo store owner that they always seem to have problems with the Agfa distributors. Perhaps the new owners will change that.
    Analog forever from here in Austin, Tx!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flotsam, we discussed about this paper a couple of months ago... look in the archives.

I love it personally, very nice gradation, excellent tonality and takes viradon and selenium very well.
    Some apugers didn;t like the base tone, which I find nice (off white).
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    I recently started to use 111 and I like it a lot.. Then again there is only one paper that I do not like and that is the Mitsubishi Gekko stuff (too thin, no gradation, etc..)

I never really noticed the base tone but now that someone mentions it..
    I'm looking at a snow scene of mine, which is a sole maple leaf on a bed of snow and the snow isn't a sea of pure white. I think it really works well for this (and other) images of mine.

Great price for the paper, no? I'd LOVE to try some other Agfa papers, especally fiber ones. I've been meaning to try Polymax Fine Art (sad, I know..) but am currently in love with Polymax II for smaller prints.

I think that i'm at the point where I can learn to love any paper as long as it's cheap and I have the time to tame it. Sorry for the rambling..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great stuff! That and MC 118, the matte surface paper, are beautiful products. I use them and like them a lot. The matte surface paper has a warmner base than the glossy, and it looks really nice when toned either in selenium or sepia.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Neal,
    I too am a PMFA user. I contact print in 3 sizes, and I occasionally use other papers, just to see what I'm missing. Generally I'm not missing much. I have used MCCIII for several projects that need a warmer tone, or tone more fully with KRST or Polytoner (God rest its immortal soul!). I use my same Kodak filters, and it's easy to use; produces good (if not great) blacks in Dektol; and has a fair gloss.
    It does not leap out of the sheet and goggle your eyes the way PMFA does. I can't see you giving up PMFA because of the price difference. You will use it only because you like the tone, not the price.
    If you want a cheap PMFA clone, try the Kentmere VC from Freestyle. Very close, 1 stop faster, and brought to your door.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been using AGFA MG Classic MCC 111 for well over 20 years and love its tonality. The hint of warmness is just enough without being over whelming. It tones well in selenium and unlike Ilford MGIV it bleaches well. D max is very good. The glossy finish is perfect again, not over the top. I dry it emulsion to the apron in my Arkay ST-22 print Dryer. The lower cost is a bonus too (shhhhh !!). The only problem I have with it is that mechanically it does not stand up well to being wet for extended periods. After a hour in the wash you will have to be careful as the ends start to "book" and you can easily get a kink in it. As it is outstanding in all other respects I have chosen to live with this one short coming. Perhaps I should e-mail AGFA and they might consider tweaking it in this respect. Anyone know any contacts other that the general in basket?
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrance Hounsell
    I have been using AGFA MG Classic MCC 111 for well over 20 years...
    I could be wrong, but I don't think this paper has been around for well over 20 years.

I remember it being introduced when I was in highschool (I have an old C+D or phototechniques review on file somewhere), and that wasn't well over 20 years ago. Maybe 15-17 years now...

Just found it interesting to think how long I've been using it myself,

joe

Images
    Thanks to all for the excellent input. I'll definitely try a box based on what I have read here.

Of course you realize that if I decide that I like it and start to use it exclusively, it will inevitably be quickly discontinued and pulled from the market.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin