Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,672   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

cold tone paper & toners

I would like to know what those of you who like cold tone black and white prints use - as far as papers & developers go - thanks in advance for all of the info

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ilford's MG FB for paper and Photographer's Formulary BW65 developer
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oriental graded fiber paper...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think that you can get Jim Dandy results with any of the main papers: Oriental, Kodak, Ilford, Brilliant, etc. There are subtle differences between them, some negs may print better on some than others. So too with developers, they all have slightly different characteristics. None is "better" than another. Just don't make yourself too crazy (as I have done). If you have a slightly indecisive or obsessive compulsive streak (as I do) you can drive yourself batty looking for the "better" materials. Far, far better to stick to one and get to thoroughly know its characteristics. (Easier said than done). You know what happens: you see one exquisite photograph shot with a different film than you are using or printed on a different paper, and voila: you've sent off sixty bucks to New York to try it out.

Gim

I also like Oriental and use it with Dektol. The "Darkroom Cookbook" has some cold tone developers if you want to mix it yourself. Oriental graded (have not use VC) and a little selenium...great!

Jim
    Last edited by Gim; 05-03-2005 at 10:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wrong book

Shooter
    Large Format
    Definitely go for selenium toning.. Also benzotriazole is supposed to cool the image considerably. I wouldn't know, i'm still waiting for my 100g bottle to arrive..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor
    Definitely go for selenium toning.. Also benzotriazole is supposed to cool the image considerably. I wouldn't know, i'm still waiting for my 100g bottle to arrive..

Benzotriazole does cool the image and it does have another benefit, it will also increase the contrast of the image. I would gently gold tone an image to cool the colour.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I favour Forte polygrade in Maxim Muirs Blue Black developer. See the chemistry recipe section of this forum for details.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forte Polygrade is about the coldest paper I know of (without any toning etc). It's lovely stuff actually. Kodak Polymax is also quite cold, but availability in the UK is rather limited (I have only tried one box of 8x10). Oriental's graded paper is also quite cold. The Oriental VC is more neutral in my experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How does Agfa Classic Multicontrast do with Kodak Rapid Selenium? I'd like to try this paper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin