Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,065   Online: 1086

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snaggs
    <snip>
    Im suprised no one recommended using Ilford chemicals, I would have thought they'd be quite good.

Daniel.
    They are, but thanks to Ilford's recent problems, they have been in short supply lately (the liquid concentrates are now reappearing on the shelves but still no sign of the powders; Ilford is really shooting itself in the foot there). A few were mentioned: Microphen, LC29, DDX, Perceptol; I mentioned ID-11 myself, but that's a powder and not currently available from Ilford. Microphen & Perceptol, being powders, likewise suffer the same supply problem currently.

The Xtol you are using will do a fine job, though I would have gone for DD-X myself ... Ah... so many developers, so little time...

Cheers, Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah DD-X is good, I mentioned that myself.
    Ilfosol S is good with slower films, or good with 400asa films for sharpness while still maintaining reasonably fine grain as long as you don't mind losing a little speed.
    I've not used the powders, but ID-11 is the classic English do it all developer.
    Liquid devs availabilty should be pretty good by now. The powders should be along soon.
    Ilford products are all pretty darn good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have only just begun to process B+W films at home.

I went with Rodinal, as it is available practically everywhere, there is a ton of information around on it, it keeps for almost ever, and gives you some options for experimentation. I tend to use slower speed film (100 and slower), although I recently developed APX 400 in Rodinal and it came out lovely.

I would suggest picking one that is easy to get locally, & stick with that. Same for the film - not advice I have followed ... :-) Document each roll you develop, times, agitation, temperature, and note what the results are like.

So far, apart from one attempt at using a "classic" developing tank, I've not screwed up!

Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    Acros 100 is an awesome film. Develops nicely in ID-11. HP5 is also great for using during less bright conditions. I would try several different films to see which one has the look you like. There are very few bad films out there...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rodinal is a great beginner developer as it is one-shot, cheap and versatile.

Otherwise HC-110, XTOL, D76 and Acutol.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin