Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,353   Online: 1049

Shooter
    4x5 Format

KODAK is discontinuing paper bases.

I just received this news from the Digitaltruth Photo News:

"Kodak has announced a plan to cease production of photographic paper bases later this month. All raw paper products will be sourced from third party suppliers in future."

I'm not sure what this means, is Kodak going to rebrand Ilford, Forte, Bregger or Agfa etc....?

Or does it mean they are going to buy the paper base from a third party and apply their own emulsion?
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it means that they will buy the paper to be coated from 3rd parties. I did not know that Kodak still manufactured paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak is one of the largest manufacturers of paper from pulp in the world. They have a large factory in Rochester and several others around the world.

This news was announced by Kodak a month or two ago. Production of the paper base from pulp will cease soon, to be replaced by paper from a supplier in Germany for all world-wide coating operations.

They will still make the final photographic paper from the raw paper, but as to how much else they will do, that is not available at the present time. This means that they may not make the subbing layers or put the RC onto the paper. But then again, they might. They have not said.

PE

The one great feature of Polymax FA is its unique surface texture, the same 'combed' texture as the old Elite paper. If we end up with another pearly surface I won't need it anymore.
    Their C surface cream had the same texture in the paper stock and was one of the best there was. It is now gone.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    PE,

I guess that would mean lots of layoffs in Rochester?
    Mark,
    Love those Digby scallops!

Images
    I was just dry mounting and spotting some Polymax Fine Art 'F' surface prints. That is beautiful stuff. The deep, deep, crisp Blacks and, as Mark mentioned, that wonderful paper texture that unfortunately is all but lost when framed but Dang! when you are holding in your hand, it is just gorgeous.
    I wonder if that is going to be a thing of the past. [Sigh]
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fact that Kodak will be outsourcing production of base paper does not itself mean that any current Kodak papers will change. All the big yellow father is doing is focusing on their core technologies - manufacturing of coated photosensitive products. They don't need to make the base paper to produce the final product.

Do you think GM makes all the parts that go into that new Hummer you just bought? Not hardly. Parts for Hummers and Caddy's are produced in the same factories, but the same OEMs, who make parts of Fords, Toyotas, and even Mini Coopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    PE,

I guess that would mean lots of layoffs in Rochester?
    Mark,
    Love those Digby scallops!
    I can even remember when scallops were cheap. We may have to substitute lobsters
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin