Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,954   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Best 1600 ISO film, developer combo

Hello

I am doing lot's of street photography in 35mm of course and the 1600 ISO film seems to be just perfect for that. So I'm looking for the ultimate film and developer to get most out of my gear. I have tried the T-max 3200 (pulled to 1600) + rodinal and that gave quite good result but I think there must be better combos out there.

I have also one newbie question. If I under/over develop a film how does it look like?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For 1600 my choice is always pushed HP5+. These days I like the look of it souped with Rodinal but if you don't want the grain then DD-X is the other I always have on reserve.

Pull the processing (underdevlop) to keep the highlights.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello Toni,

I like Fuji Neopan 1600 rated at ISO 1600 and developed in Xtol 1+1. Nce smooth grain, not too obvious. If you're after gritty, then push TriX to 1600 and dev in HC110.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    tmax 400 pushed and xtol 1+1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kind of depends on the look you're seeking, doesn't it?

If you want a low contrast solution for high contrast situations, i'd recommend Delta 3200 @ 1600. However, the grain in D3200 is pretty soft and big. Not gritty, and that's a problem for some.

For the grittier look which is especially useful in low contrast situations, I push TXT to 1600 in Microphen (1+0, 16:00, 1 inversion every 3 minutes). This lets me use one film from 250 to 1600 comfortably, and I just like the look of TXT over HP5, personally.

allan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Toni,

Try TMax 3200 in Xtol full strength. Use the published times for EI 1600.

Within limits, longer development = more contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i shot a bunch of neopan 1600 a while ago (loved the film) and developed it in stock d76. I'm not sure if there are better developers (i'm sure there are) but i got good results from that.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I regularly shoot at 1600 & 3200 using HP5 and neopan and am more than happy with either. I find the neopan slightly less grainy though it does depened a little on which developer I use for the HP5, either Ilfosol or LC29. For the neopan it's LC29 at 1:19.
    I always tend to over develop (very) slightly for more shadow detail.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Diafine is fast, easy, and moron-resistant while containing contrast. 1000 might be a better index instead of the published 1600. It's processing uniformity prevents losses from a pocketful of speed spaghetti.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My 2 favorite are fuji 1600 in rodinal or TriX in ilford microphen.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin