Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,542   Online: 993

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Help with printing to really bring out the 'Silvers' in an image

How would you print this image to really bring out the 'silvers' in it, to really make it 'pop'?

What paper would you use?
    What chemicals would you use?

Thank you very much for your input!
    Kind regards, Nicole
    Last edited by Nicole; 07-20-2007 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it has more to do with development in the fim stage than the printing stage in this image. Is this c41 B&W? tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should print this type of negative on Fomatone MG, RC or classic (Baryt - 131) and to make it more warmtone with Amaloco AM1001 paper developer.

To control if you do not like to much warmtone: AM6006.

Best regards,

Robert

Images
    Nicole,

Printing is a personal thing, and I can only tell you what I would do, not what you will do.

I don't know what you mean by the 'silvers'. Some prints look very silvery. To do this, print on a cold tone paper such as Ilford Multi. I know what it means to make a print 'pop', but for me, I don't like portraits to pop or be too exaggerated. I don't like 'the hand of god' in my prints. I think the image looks fairly good as it appears here on my monitor. I would print it on my favorite paper, Bergger VC CB, which has warm tones and cold highlighs. I would burn down the background a bit to make the face separate from the background tones more. I would burn down the light tones in the shirt so they don't compete with the facial tones. I would burn down the collar bone a touch and maybe some of the glow under the neck. To avoid the 'hand of god look', I would do this by placing a piece of acetate over the neg and using pencils, turn the burns into a dodge on her face. This will allow you to get very close with your controls and be consistant with the dodge/burn.

YMMV, good luck, and maybe this helps.

-LG

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    How would you print this image to really bring out the 'silvers' in it, to really make it 'pop'?

What paper would you use?
    What chemicals would you use?

Thank you very much for your input!
    Kind regards, Nicole
    I think that the thing that makes a silver print appear silvery and the quality that makes it "pop" are two distinctly different things.

The quality that makes a print appear silvery are the tonal scale above 18% gray. This tonal scale must have a counterpoint to give a visual indication and that counterpoint occurs through the values 2-3 stops below 18% gray.

Now to make a print really "pop" requires contrast...and by that I don't mean overall contrast. I mean local contrast. So the way that I would print this would be to expand the local contrast while at the same time controlling the overall contrast.

The paper and developer used may have some bearing on this...but those will be personal preferences rather then technical considerations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Nicole,

... I don't like 'the hand of god' in my prints. ... To avoid the 'hand of god look', I would do this by placing a piece of acetate over the neg and using pencils, turn the burns into a dodge on her face. This will allow you to get very close with your controls and be consistant with the dodge/burn.

-LG
    Hi LG, two questions: what do you mean by the "hand of god" look. Do you mean haloing caused by dodging? Also, acetate over the negative and using pencils. This sounds fascinating. Can you either expand on this or provide a reference to a description of the technique? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd try split printing with preference on filter #0 to bring the skin tones just a bit
    then use #5 to get the blacks

I'd use AGFA MC111 or Ilford Warmtone... dunno how selenium would look like though
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think I'd zero in on the image tone and toning, following Fotohuis suggestion for warming things up. Below are a couple of very different photos from the APUG galleries where I've admired the way skin can glow in silver given the right tone. I've also admired recently some of Steve MacLeod's work in his Master Printers Workbook (I think that's the right title) where he's using Thiocarbamide alone or coupled with Selenium in portraits or fashion shots.

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1 by Andre R. de Avillez
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1 by David Bebbington

Best regards,
    James

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nicole,
    I would strongly agree with LG. The shirt in the lower left is a bit hot. Our eyes are naturally drawn to light spots and it's distracting. I would personally print it on AGFA multicontrast classic FB. IMO it physically has a lot of silver in it. I'd also use 55-D as a developer, but it is not commercially available, you'd have to mix it. You did not say what format the neg is. If this is 35mm the acetate dodge will be tricky.
    Very nice portrait BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nicole,
    From my point of view, the manipulation needs to be done on the periphery. The background needs bringing down quite a bit as does the shirt and (IMO) some small lightening round the adams apple area but not so much as to compete with the face. To me, the face is bob on and should be left alone. Try Forte warmtone in Neutol WA. Regards, BLIGHTY
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin